Thread: lubricants sort of.......

cplath Guest

Default lubricants sort of.......

8-[ Hi everyone
    Im new here and hope someone can help.We have been ttc for 5 months.

Im on meds for epilepsy that mean i dont have much cm,so we thought we would use a lubricant.Now we have found out that these can inhibit sperm.

We have read about egg whites but have since been told that these can cause infection,im at the end of my tether right now
    Does anybody have any suggestions atall.

Thanks very much for listening.

C

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hello c, welcome to BellyBelly!

It is true, some lubricants are toxic to sperm, KY is one of those guilty as charged. There are some brands of lubricant out there that are natural - it's a matter of shopping around or asking the pharmacist I think.

I used to work in pharmacy years ago and have seen one called something like, Silk or Glide. It was a bit more expensive than normal. If you feel a bit embarassed maybe you can phone a few local pharmacies, ask to speak to the pharmacist and ask what they have for you. Good luck!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

cplath Guest

Hi
    Thanks for the quick reply,i have tried sylk,but even on the website it says,it can inhibit sperm.

All the pharmarchists say its ok,but the they are selling it arent they?

We did use ky,summers eve etc....... we used the sylk cox its supposed to be "all natural" kiwi fruit etc..

Anyway,thanks for listening.
    c ](*,)
    Last edited by BellyBelly; June 16th, 2006 at 08:20 PM.

That's okay! It must be very frustrating for you.

I did a quick search on the internet and found this study paper about the effects of lubricant on sperm - even olive oil is much better than other lubricants. http://humrep.oupjournals.org/cgi/re...13/12/3351.pdf
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi C,

Very frustrating situation for you.

I can totally understand your fears regarding the real egg whites and potential infection. But thought I would share my personal experience:

I had been TTC for a very long time, and was getting desparate, and had read about real egg whites being potentially a good substitute for lube/CM. (I think it is mentioned in Toni Wecshlers book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility"? That sperm need a lot of CM and that the CM needs to be of the right ph balance?)

Anyway, I was very nervous about the risk of infection, but we decided to go for it anyway, and it may have been the deciding factor in what finally worked for us: am about to have our first baby!

If you'd like more info re this, just private message me?

Have you chatted to your GP about using real egg whites? I spoke to two separate GP's about it: one "old school" type male GP, and one much younger female GP, and they both indicated that if we were comfortable in using this approach, it may help. Maybe ask your GP and see what they say?

Either way, very best of luck.

cplath Guest

Hi lucy
    no,we havnt spoken to a gp,because each one said regular lubricant would do the job.

Thankyou so much for sharing your personal experience with me,its reassuring.

hope you get my email.

c

Hi C,

We use Astroglide when we need to, as I have read around the net that it is one of the better ones to use (and DH & I were a bit squeamish about using egg whites LOL). HTH.

Good luck!

Oh, come to think of it, did you mean you don't have much 'cervical mucous', or that you erm, don't have enough natural 'lubrication' for BD to take place? I believe they are two different things. If it's the actual cm you don't have much of, then I have heard that plain Robitussin can help thin out cm making it more sperm friendly. HTH.

cplath Guest

hi
    i dont have a lot of either as my medication really effects it,but thats a good point thanks.
    O

cplath Guest

Hi
    about robotussin Can anyone tell me exactly which type of this medicine to get,there is one where it contains another ingredient beginning with g i think,jut want to make sure i get the right one.
    I looked on pharmavy direct and theres about 6 different ones.

Crikey im being a pain today sorry..... :-k

cplath Guest

hi
    i dont have a lot of either as my medication really effects it,but thats a good point thanks.
    O

Hey C,

I think the ingredient is guaifenesin. Just get the plain one... I'm not sure what it looks like as I haven't tried it yet, but this is something I found on the net...

What kind of Robitussin is used to improve cervical mucus?

One should buy the plain kind with no letters after it. The only active ingredient is guaifenesin, and it contains 100 mg per teaspoon. It is very important to avoid the versions that contain decongestants as those may dry up cervical mucus.
    Good luck.

Actually, here's the entire FAQ that I found (it's a bit long, but hopefully helpful!):

Robitussin for Fertility FAQ
    Using Robitussin/Guaifenesin to Improve Cervical Mucus
    At first most people wonder what on earth a cough syrup has to do with fertility, but the logic is easily found in the fact that it is an expectorant and is being used to loosen and thin mucus - just in a different place than the lungs!

The name Robitussin was used in the title of this FAQ as it is a common brand of cough syrup in the United States. It is used on the fertility boards and newsgroups in the same manner as saying Band-Aid for an adhesive strip used to cover a cut. Any expectorant that contains guaifenesin as the only active ingredient is fine to use.

What kind of Robitussin is used to improve cervical mucus?

One should buy the plain kind with no letters after it. The only active ingredient is guaifenesin, and it contains 100 mg per teaspoon. It is very important to avoid the versions that contain decongestants as those may dry up cervical mucus.

Do I need to use the brand Robitussin?

No. Robitussin is the most common brand name, at least in the U.S., that carries a guaifenesin-only expectorant, but there are other brands and generics available. As long as the only active ingredient is guaifenesin, you can use any variety you find. For those with diabetes or otherwise concerned about sugar intake, there is the brand Diabetic Tussin available.

What is the recommended dose of guaifenesin?

The recommended dose for improving cervical mucus, based on a 1982 article in Fertility and Sterility, is two teaspoons (200 mg) taken orally three times per day. If mucus still appears thick and doesn't have good spinnbarkeit (ability to stretch), one can take as much as four teaspoons (400 mg) four times per day (the maximum dose on this over the counter medication). Each dose should be taken with a full glass of water, and attention should be given to drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day -- one needs water to produce mucus.

What cycle days should one take guaifenesin?

Just as the dose can vary a bit, so can the days. The article linked above had patients starting the guaifenesin on cycle day 5 - five days after the start of menses. This seems rather early as mucus is not an issue until about five days before ovulation - based on the fact that sperm can only live five days at best, and most pregnancies are the result of intercourse in the five days leading up to ovulation. Because of this information, it is now more common for doctors to suggest starting guaifenesin about five days before expected ovulation and continuing through ovulation day (six days total, for those with regular cycles). For those with irregular cycles, one should start taking guaifenesin about five days before the earliest day ovulation might be expected. For those taking Clomid (clomiphene citrate, Serophene) in a 5-day protocol, one can probably wait until the day after the last Clomid pill before starting the expectorant.

Is guaifenesin available in pill form?

Yes, but in most cases a prescription is needed. In the U.S., one can get a 600 mg time released caplet as the generic Guaifenesin CR, or brands Humibid LA, and Fenesin. This is often less expensive than the liquid.

How does one diagnose cervical factor/hostile mucus?

Many women try taking guaifenesin after noting little or no egg white (stretchy) cervical mucus while charting their fertility signals, but clinically it is diagnosed when a doctor checks mucus one or two days before ovulation in what is usually referred to as a post-coital test. The doctor does a vaginal exam and takes a sample of mucus to immediately analyze under a microscope to check for live sperm and for a ferning pattern. It is also checked for signs of infection. Quality mucus will be stretchy, fern, lack cellularity, and have live sperm swimming in it.

Why do so many women take guaifenesin while on Clomid?

Clomid (clomiphene citrate, Serophene) can cause hostile mucus in 30 percent or more of women using it. Higher doses tend to be more associated with less cervical fluid and a thinner uterine lining, than the 50 mg dose.

Will guaifenesin help if there is little or no mucus present?

Guaifenesin doesn't actually create mucus, it only thins what is already there. One would need to look into why there is no mucus (infection, not really ovulating).

Will taking guaifenesin cause any problems if it isn't needed?

Probably not. Since fertile mucus can be watery, there is probably no harm in taking guaifenesin and thinning it out.

What are some other possible ways to improve cervical mucus?

Drinking plenty of water should always be considered in addition to any other therapies one might try. Estrogen is sometimes given to help mucus production, though doctors have mixed opinions of its benefit, especially when used with Clomid (and some suggest using Tamoxifen instead of Clomid). Injectable gonadotropins used for controlled ovarian hyperstimulation often have a positive effect on cervical mucus as well. Some home/natural remedies include eating salty foods such as popcorn (mucus is very salty), taking evening primrose oil, avoiding dairy products (they can thicken mucus), eating lots of baby carrots, and also avoiding antihistamines, including high doses of vitamin C.

Does guaifenesin do anything for male factor infertility?

It is possible that men with thick semen may benefit from guaifenesin in the same manner it helps with cervical mucus in women. The suggested doses on the newsgroups and fertility boards range from two teaspoons twice per day to four teaspoons four times per day.

Copyright 2000 by Rebecca Smith Waddell
    All rights reserved. The text from this page be distributed as long as
    full copyright, including URL, is attached and the use is not for profit.
    www.fertilityplus.org/faq/cm.html
    Created: May 13, 2000

cplath Guest

That is a great source of info,thankyou so much.

I will get the robotussin tommorow,now i know which one to get,it was so interesting.

I will let you know how i go with the egg white aswell and if anyone else has anymore feedback i really do appreciate it.

C

cplath Guest

Default lubricants

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone bought a different brand of this,one slightly cheaper or a chemists own brand perhaps?

If not can you tell me what colour the label on the robotussin is as im unable to get out right now and will need to order through the internet
    thanks
    c

Moving to General Conception Discussion
    Kelly xx

I was just doing a bit of reading on hostile mucus too, coz I'm on Clomid & just realised that this can be a side effect of this. Feel like I have a lot of watery CM at the moment, only noticed EWCM once on CD11 (due to ovul on CD16) so I don't know if I have it or not. Just started taking Blackmores Evening Primrose Oil yesterday (2 capsules daily) & last week started taking Blackmores Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Forumula (2 capsules daily). Haven't tried Robitussin (or similar) yet nor a sperm friendly lube.

Found this in my reading by doing a Google search on "hostile mucus" (use quotes), it shows 'Pre-Seed' lubricant is sperm friendly, and provides a link to studies done on major brands 'KY', 'Astroglide' & 'Replens' which they found are NOT sperm friendly, even though they apparently claim they are. Here's an extract...

"Pre-Seed is the only lubricant on the market that has proven to counteract the hostile mucus problem AND is not harmful to sperm. The vast majority of personal lubricants on the market today are not sperm friendly and actually reduce your chances of conceiving due to the fact that they harm the sperm."