Thread: New to TTC

rugrats Guest

Default New to TTC

Hi guys. I'm Julie and I'm a newbie. My husband and I have just starting trying and it's all pretty new to me. There are so many terms etc but I'm getting there. He just had a vasectomy reversal so we're not even sure if it's 100% ok but we've got our fingers crossed [-o< Does anyone else know someone who's tried to conceive after a reversal? I can't seem to find much info on it, only the standard odds etc.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Julie

I know there is someone who's partner had one I just can't remember who it was!Hopefully they come in here and find your post!

we were considering the reversal but after discussions with our ob-gyn we decided that the 15% success rate wasn't good enough (DH had his done nearly 4 years ago & his body is producing sperm antibodies), so we've gone for extraction and ICSI, also we didn't want to have to worry about contraception after we'd had our kids.

We're also in Brisbane.

Schaz

we were told because of our circumstances - the snip was done nearly 4 years ago, that chances of a reversal working was about 15%. After about 2 years the body starts producing antibodies around the cut sites.

DH is still producing sperm so we're just going to extract instead, only puts an additional cost of about $500 onto the cost of IVF. In the long run this is less painful than the reversal, just a local in his balls and then extraction. This should only have to happen once, but he has been told to be prepared to have to go thru it again on the day they do my retrieval, as they may need more sperm.

rugrats - good luck with it all, feel free to PM me, I'm in brissy too

rugrats Guest

Thanks girls. cool, someone else in Brissy!

We were given about 85% chance that the operation would work and then 50/50 that a pregnancy would eventuate. I'm a bit of an optimist and the operation didn't cost nearly as much as we thought it would so we gave it a go. Being new to it all I'm not sure what ICSI is but I think I have an idea. I'm not sure we could have afforded it. IVF is so expensive isn't it? Heaps of good luck to you! dust:

The operation was pretty painful for dh (although I must say not as painful as labour so we're not even yet!) and it seems to have gone well. We are just waiting, have about 3 weeks before we can see if his body has started producing antibodies and therefore killing any sperm he makes. Fingers crossed. Crazy thing is, I've already started charting and even though I know rationally that it will probably take months or even years, I still have my hopes up. I'm getting worried about how I'll take the disappointment. It's ok though, I'm lucky to have my daughter anyway.

Shaz - will do and feel free to pm me too!

huggiepie06 Guest

Default Hi Im Trina another newly

My DH had his VR in Jan 06 and we are hoping for the best. How long can it take and who has fallen pregnant.

huggiepie06 Guest

Default Trina again

I forgot to mention my DH had his VR by Dr Woolcott has anyone had any success.