Thread: Overweight, TTC & feeling mighty down

Default Overweight, TTC & feeling mighty down

Hey all,

This is my first time posting here so HI!!!! My husband and i have been TTC for about 3 months now (after the xmas festivities were over!). Nothing unusual there i know. Here is my background...

I am very overweight and am currently working my way through that and have recently engaged in a whole new healthy lifestyle. Eating better, excercising etc. My periods were always about 7-8 wks apart however i have now not had my period in 3 months. I am pretty sure i am not pregnant as i have done a few tests which have come up with a BFN (inc. one at the doctors office about 6 wks after starting TTC). I am due to have blood tests in the next week or so to check for anything all all wrong including PCOS - my blood pressure was apparently 'text book.

I guess i am wondering if any one has any experiences/advice re: the following:

a). Even though i am not getting my period, could i still be ovulating?

b). Can i get pregnant without having a period?

c). Is it likely that by losing the weight my periods and regular AF visits will return?

d). Has anyone else in my boat successfully coneceived while they were overweight with no periods?

e). If i do have PCOS is it possible that through treatment it can 'go away' and i could have a child?

Thanks all for your time in reading my post.

xo

hi there i understand what you are feeling, my and DF were overweight and spent almost 2 years TTC and were about to start treatment but we made lifestyle changes he lost 15 kilos and i lost almost 20 then 3 months later we fell pregnant! i put him on menevit and i got onto vitamins and i truly believed the weight loss improved the sitatuation, my thyroid was back to working order and his sperm count obviously increased! we didnt drink or smoke either, there is no harm in giving it a go not just TTC but for your own health. good luck!

loosing weight may help with falling pg - loosing as little as 10% of your bodyweight has been shown to have benefits. But it does sound as if something else may be going on in your body, so hopefully the doc will be able to find out what may be causing the irregular periods and have some options for you. But it is possible to fall pg while overweight - I myself was 30kg overweight when I fell pg with my first.

Good luck TTC

Hey Kelli. Welcome to BB. I will give you some answers based on my experience... but we are all different and your situation may not be the same as mine...

Quote Originally Posted by kellijh View Post
    My periods were always about 7-8 wks apart however i have now not had my period in 3 months. I was pretty much like this and was not ovulating at all due to PCOS.

a). Even though i am not getting my period, could i still be ovulating? Possible... but with very long cycles it will make it harder for you to chart them or estimate ovulation, and make concieving more difficult.
    b). Can i get pregnant without having a period?Possible I guess but not really likely...?????

c). Is it likely that by losing the weight my periods and regular AF visits will return?Yes, quite possibly. A loss of even 5 -10 % of your total body weight may be enough to regulate your cycles

d). Has anyone else in my boat successfully coneceived while they were overweight with no periods? After almost a year of TTC and then finding out I was not actually ovulating at all. I went on CLomid and fell pg first time!

e). If i do have PCOS is it possible that through treatment it can 'go away' and i could have a child? Im not sure if you can make PCOS 'go away' but fertility drugs such as clomid can be useful to conceive. But its a big decision.

Thanks all for your time in reading my post.

xo
    You may be told that 3 months is not long enough to wait before further investigation. Some doctors wont even begin to look into infertility until you have tried for at least a year or more.

My suggestion would be to get a referral to a good OB/GYN and go to see them fully equipped with as detailed a history as possible on your cycles as you can. Write EVERYTHING down and even take in charts etc with you if you have them. Have you used the 'fertility friend' website???

GL honey! Heres hoping your TTC journey is short and sweet! And join the TTC buddies thread too! You will find them here ... http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/conc...arch-09-a.html
    Last edited by myson; March 13th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.