Thread: Painting and TTC

Default Painting and TTC

Hi
    We are renovating our house at the moment and pretty much painting every room - do you think paint fumes are bad in early pregnancy?

I know that paints are not lead-lined any more but cannot see any warnings on the can.

Any ideas or am I just being paranoid?
    Thanks.

Hi Tess. I don't know off the top of my head, but depending on what brand paint it is you should be able to find its full instruction guide on its website. I had to do that recently for other reasons and there was heaps more info on the product their website than on the can. Hope this helps!

We were doing renos all through my preg...still going actually....and at the beg of preg i came out in a rash on my face and arms and vomited a bit after painting one day. I figured my body was telling me to keep away from paint so i did until the last trimester -and had no reaction then. I'd look into it a bit more to be on the safe side

Hi,

I have heard the brand 'Breathe Easy' I think by Berger is safe to use during pg.

Best to check on the paint can or otherwise where you buy it from would probably know.

Thanks ladies - much appreciated. I will check out the websites - I am planning to spend the next two weekends flat out painting so that the majority is done before i ovulate this cycle anyway. (Its strange the things you do not really think about that can be harmful.)

Thanks again.

I have just received a reply from the Dulux helpdesk - they said ...

"Wash and Wear 101 should be fine to use. Make sue there is plenty of ventilation, open windows and dors. A fan would also help."

Thanks heaps - I feel more confident living in a stinky house for a while longer now.

That's great news Tess - at least you can rest easy now

My DH is a painter, and has also said that Dulux is the safest brand to use. This is all his company will work with, as it is also the best quality. As the Dulux people said, make sure the area is well ventilated, and take breaks in fresh air every hour.

Good luck with the painting

We were discussing this in the TTC thread, so thought I would add this handy little hint in here as well We were once told to cut up an onion, put it in a bowl of water in the room you are painting and it will help to keep the paint fumes down. It is suppose to suck up the paint smell.
    My DH use to be a painter (years ago) and he had never heard about the onion thing so was skeptical, but we tried it and it worked for us.

Nic

Thanks for that advice Nic - I will definitely do the onion thing as our house stinks of paint at the moment. I will try anything at the moment.

Thanks Ursula - it is good to know we have picked the right paint. It was the only brand that would do the colour we wanted, but glad it was the right choice.

Wow - how interesting about the onion thing.
    I wonder if it works to suck up chemical fumes when cleaning the shower lol.