Thread: Periods and pregnancy

Default Periods and pregnancy

Hi girls,
    This is my first post and I have to say it's been great to be able to read everyone's stories - helps you realise all your own questions and feelings are normal and not silly! I was wondering if anyone had their 'period' or bleeding more than implantation bleeding when they were in fact pregnant, and if so, when did they know to test and get a positive result? (Also, could someone help me decode all the acronyms? It took me a while to figure out the CM one's and I know AF is 'period'.)
    Thanks ;-)
    Rach

Welcome to BB Rachel! Firstly, just ask away if you're unsure of any abbreviations etc, or there is a thread in the introduce yourself forum that contains most of the terms we use on BB!

I myself didn't experience bleeding like you're describing, but I have heard of many girls who have continued to get af every month through the first trimester, or even the whole pg! I'm sure some of them will pop up now to reassure you. Usually, you won't get a strong positive on an HPT until 14DPO. Some people, get a + sooner than that, but not many.

Are you ttc? (sorry, trying to conceive)

Hi Sez,
    Thanks for the reply. We are not actively ttc, but did decide not to be 'careful' this month. I have had the most confusing array of symptoms though and tho I did get my period when due on Friday, it has been only 2 days, usually lasts a week, and was 'brighter' than normal, but definitely more than spotting. However, the Fortel and Discover tests were negative. I guess I'm wondering if you have breakthrough bleeding, if that's a sign that a HPT may not show a positive as early as if you did not have breakthrough bleeding. Anyway, I don't know if it's worth getting a blood test purely based on the fact my period was much shorter for the first time.
    Cheers ;-)
    Rach

Thanks Emma, and I'm so glad that you solved the 'BF' mystery for me. I got the 'N' and 'P' parts but the BF had me completely stumped! ;-) Rach

Hi Rach,
    Well my SIL (sister in law) was one of those 'urban myths' - she had her period the whole time she was preg and was on the pill so she didnt find out she was pregnant till she was 6 weeks from giving birth..... so anything is really possible.

OMG that's crazy! I don't get how you can't know you are pregnant!! Didn't she ntoice she was getting bigger around the middle?

She is a really large girl and yes she knew she was getting bigger even though she was dieting. She went to the dietian and she was the one who said "your pregnant"! She thought only just but when she went for the U/S they realised only 6 weeks to go. Amazing thing is that a few weeks before this she went for a pap smear and the GP didnt even pick up that anything was different!

Wow that just blows me away. You'd think she would have felt kicking or something. 6 weeks isn't a whole lot of time left to plan for the new arrival!

hey guys, i've got an even better one - my cousin's wife didn't know she was prg until her son arrived on the kitchen floor!!!

She too was on the pill, had her period the whole time and although she is very tall and perhaps a little overweight, family members who saw her in the few days before she gave birth SWEAR she did not even look prg. It was her third baby too!!

How FREAKY!! The family had to do a mad dash around borrowing clothes, cots etc etc as she didn't have anything, they weren't planning on having any more!

Unhappy stressing.

I had my implanon implant removed 21 days ago, my last AF (implanon still inserted) started 29th July and I have just got my first AF post implanon 2 days ago, I usually have sore breasts but this time i have no pain in that area but i had bad period pain sat night today it is pretty light - which is great compared to what i was having while on implanon (sometimes 2 week long AF) - I have been TTC since removal as my Dr told me i could ovulate straight away. I keep clucthing at straws hoping for some miracle that i am in fact preg ( i must sound like a weirdo) but its how i feel ..

When AF came i cried - i was hoping i would get preg straight away now i am confused i dont know when my Ovulation date will be and Im frustrated and disheartend and its only the first month off contraception...

I have read some bad stuff about implanon and im hoping im ok...

Sorry just needed to winge..
    Thanks.

Meegm,

Don't stress. Give your body time to stabilize. Maybe start charting, this will give you a clear picture of what is happening with your cycles. Also give charting a good 3 months before you stress over whether or not your cycles are normal.

BekZ

Thanks Bekz, i have started a chart and have am getting my themometer tomorrow .. thanks again. p.s. read both posts TA :