Thread: The pill and pregnancy

Default The pill and pregnancy

Is it really possible to conceive if you have been on antibiotics and are on the pill?

If you are on the pill and think you might be pg but it's too early to POAS, would you stop taking the pill jic?

Thanks for your help.

yes you can definitely get pregnant if you are on the pill and take antibiotics. SOmething in the antibiotics makes it not effective. You can also get pregnant on the pill if you are sick (vomiting) or have diahroea (sp?)

oh and in regards to stoping taking the pill, no damage would be done if you continue taking it. Happens to alot of women before they realise that they are pregnant.

i am with alibaby things like that happen every day

It definitely does..it happened to one of my best friends..she didn't know straight away but her daughter is a gorgeous 7 month old now.

Thank you. I have gotten a BFN today although it might have been a bit early to test.

Mallory - dont worry hun (unless you are hoping for BFP?). They have done extensive tests using antibios and placibos, and there is no significant effect on BCP absorbtion when taking antibios - the pill is absorbed quite quickly into the bloodstream. Some are contraindicative, but they usually say on the packet. Interestingly, St Johns Wort (used as natural anti-depressant) affects absorbtion of the pill.

Like others have mentioned, it is mainly if you are vomitting after taking the pill, or if have diarrhea that may affect its effectiveness.

Good luck for whatever result you are hoping for!

Thank you Dragonbub. That is interesting - especially considering that I know one thing for sure - I did ovulate. These symptoms like really sore breasts and others could really only be from either ovulating or pregnancy. Maybe it was a just particularly bad antibiotic that I was on or related to timing.

I will have to wait and see what the result is.

I got pregnant while on the pill. (As far as i can remember I wasnt sick or having diorreaoh) When I tested after my period was late I got a BFN and then started feeling nauseous and sore breasts and waited two weeks and tested again and got a BFP and now have a gorgous 14 week old girl

Default pill and period confusion!?

wow this seems like an interesting concept...excuse my ignorance, but say you get pregnant and your on the pill, and obviously you don't know your pregnant, what happens when you get to the sugar pills? do you get your period? and if you keep taking the pill, for say, a few months, what actually happens?

that is how my cousin got her son!!

Nikkers - no idea about what actually happens but I would assume that once you get a BFP results for your pregnancy test that you would come off the pill and not keep taking it. If you are concerned about possibly being pregnant and have got a positive test result and you've not gone to the doctor yet then I would be making an appointment.
    If you just "think" you might be then test and see what result you get after th esugar pill section.

Nae x

when you are pregnant not even the sugar pills are going to cause a period

most people would then be off to the doctor
    not taking it for a further few months to see what happens I would hope most people would take better care than that

I wish our getting pregnant was all that easy

Default ahhh so thats what happens!

thanks 'naenae' and 'counting days'.....glad to hear you that you wont get a period even if on pill....i'm pretty sure i'm NOT pregnant but was just interested in the biology of it all!

not really biology just how it works

Default How it REALLY works!

Quote Originally Posted by Counting Days View Post
    when you are pregnant not even the sugar pills are going to cause a period

most people would then be off to the doctor
    not taking it for a further few months to see what happens I would hope most people would take better care than that

I wish our getting pregnant was all that easy
    today i went to visit my GP, and asked her if you can be pregnant and still get your period. She said YES. Just because you have a fertilised egg inside you doesnt stop your body from reacting to the hormonal changes the pill causes.

Interesting!

i have heard some women have their period at least once after falling pregnant... some have actually had it right the way through...

but most don;t get it... i guess it depends on the womans body and everything.