Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pill and TTC

Question The pill and TTC

Hi,
    Just wanted to know how long between stopping the pill should you try to start to conceive?
    Hubby believes you have to wait 3 months from stopping the pill til you can try to start to have a baby as you need to rid your body of the chemicals from the pill.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Laura

Everybody is different. Many women fall pregnant by just missing one day while taking the pill. I fell pregnant the first cycle after stopping the pill. It may also depend on the time you've been on the pill, have you been on it long.

Talia is 31/2 and I didn't go back on the pill til she stopped breastfeeding when she was 20 months old. So probably about a year and a half to 2 years. I conceived really quickly with her. Just wanted to know really if there is any medically reason to not start trying as soon as your off the pill. Do the drugs build up in your system? Do they affect bubs development if they are not all out of your system when you conceive?

I dont think theres any minimum time you *have* to wait after stopping the pill.
    Dont they just say 3 months so your body gets the chance to have a proper period and ovulate?

Hey Laura,
    The chemicals used in the pill stay in your body for a very short period of time. That is why you only get 7 days of the sugar tablets, as any longer than this and the pill actually leaves your system. That is why most women who only miss one pill get pregnant, as it usually the first pill after the withdrawal bleed, so by only missing one pill, you have actually had 8 days of no pill.

Anyway, the pill pretty much sends your ovaries to sleep so they don't ovulate. Once the pill has left your system, it may take a while for your body to "wake up" again. However, many studies have shown no harmful effects of the pill to the baby, as lots of women have kept taking the pill before they realise they are pregnant.

The only legitimate concern with the pill is that it is difficult to determine the length of cycles, and therefore when you get pregnant it may be hard to work out when conception occured. However, the choice is yours as to whether you risk this or not (I have), because by charting etc, you can see when you ovulated anyway.

Hope you have a great New Year!

Smile

Thanks for that dragonbub. We will have to see how we go now. Fingers crossed!

Hi Laura, I don't believe there is any reason why you should wait (unless of course you don't want to get pregnant!!). I only had one cycle before falling pregnant and the EDD was worked out via U/S anyway. (touch wood) but so far there have been no problems and we have a healthy little baby cooking away with only 9 more weeks to go! Good luck with your TTC efforts (and have fun too!).

lehma06 Guest

I started TTC as soon as I stopped the pill. It only took us just over 3 months to conceive

Hi Laura,
    I was on the pill for 10 years before starting ttc. My first cycle was 65 days long, second one only 38 days and I'm now on CD13 of my third cycle and hoping I ovulate soon. I was told the same thing as dragonbub said that the only problem is that it might be hard to predict conception dates but if you're charting and monitoring ovulation you should be fine.
    My first 65 day cycle was really agonising because I didn't know if I was ovulating and thought I was pregnant for quite a while as well. I went through some crazy mood swings and pms in the middle of the cycle so keep in mind your body might do some strange things as it's trying to "wake up" again and hormones your natural hormones will be raging through your body!
    The thing that has helped the most for me is tracking my "normal" pms symptoms so I know what my body should be doing before AF arrives.
    It's been an interesting few months and now hoping we are able to catch that egg!
    Good luck and feel free to share any strange things going on. I'm sure there are a few of us who have experienced it!

Hi Doza,
    I hope all goes well for you. I've been so tired since I come off the pill. Don't know if thats a side effect or not. Only been off it 2 weeks I think. Have to go have a look. But just really tired so my brain is like mush! Haven't done any of the charting and monitoring of ovulation as that confuses me a bit and I suppose I will have to wait to start doing that when everything is "normal".

HI Laura
    I have also just come off the BCP, i was on it for closde to 15yrs. My DR said "just go for it", and also said I should temp and chart to help determine what my body was doing.
    If you are having trouble with the charting, there is a great website called fertility firend, and once you join they send out emails for two weeks, with instructions... very helpful.
    Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!!!

purpley Guest

Hi there, I too was on the pill for 10 years and stopped just under 6 months ago. In this time I have had a 65 day, 87 day and now a 90 day with no signs cycle so my instance here is one where the body takes a while to "wake up" or sort itself out.
    Other friends I have fell pregnant missing a couple of pills, so everyone is totally different.
    I reckon go for it!

Jenny Guest

I was also on the pill for about 10 years and as soon as I stopped I had pretty regular cycles - within 5 days of each other. Good luck with TTC

Hi Laura,
    Yes, I was also extremely tired! Everything your body is going through sounds really normal. It just takes some time.
    And for me, not being a very patient person, it's extremely agonizing!!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    I have a good feeling it will be a lucky one for us!

Oh good! I thought I was having some weird side effect that no one else had had. Most of my friends use other means of contraception so I thought I was either going loopy or getting sick - which I never get sick:P And I hope you're right and we both do have a good year!!!!

I did a lot of reading online during my first month off the pill and found so many women all over the world who were going through the same thing! It's really nice to know and definitely helped me go with the flow and let my body just be "normal".
    I'm using OPK's again this month. I didn't get a +ive until CD23 last month and I've started them again (I'm on CD14) and hope it's not as long this time! It can get quite expensive trying to figure out what's going on!

Hi Doza,
    Well I am still so tired and to top it off not sleeping real well either. What other side effects/ withdrawal symptoms have you had coming off the pill. Maybe then I can feel better prepared. I must be having some mood swings too cos I can't seem to handle my three year old as well as I normally do. Get irritated at the slightest thing. AHH well the joys of hormones huh!

Well, I went through about a week or so of exhaustion, then depression, then felt quite good, then back to being exhausted again. I also had bad pains about the time I should have ovulated but didn't (I guess they were trying but couldn't quite do it on their own yet!). My face broke out!! Lost a bit of weight, then gained it back again. Couldn't exercise like I normally do for a while. Then, for about 2 weeks after I thought I had ovulated, had pregnancy symptoms (sore boobs, cramps, pulling/twinges in ovaries, nausea, exhaustion), and took about 10 tests before getting a bt from the doctor.
    I guess I haven't painted a very pretty picture for you! And, everyone is different so hopefully it's a lot easier for you.
    But, once you get through it, you'll feel SO great for being all natural again and I've vowed never to take them again unless I'm 100% sure I don't want any more kids. Not sure what we'd do for birth control but I guess tackle that hurdle when we get there.
    I'm just hoping to ttc #1 this cycle!! One step at a time, I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast