Thread: Polycystic ovaries...trying not to freak out!

Aussie_Chik Guest

Unhappy Polycystic ovaries...trying not to freak out!

FS just casually told me over the phone I have polycystic ovaries. I need info!

Can anyone tell me about it and the chances of conceiving and other health concerns. I won't be seeing him for 2 weeks.

Thx.

Demand more info!! How rude!!

I have polycystic ovaries (cysts on my ovaries) and have had no trouble conceiving.

If you take a look at the thread about ovulating twice in a cycle, I've put a link that explains a little about it.

Other than that...try googling "Polycystic Ovaries", you'll find heaps of information. Don't be confused with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). Just because a women has polycystic ovaries DOESN'T mean that she has PCOS which can (and often does) affect fertility and conception.

Lisa

Sal Guest

Lots of women have ovaries with 'polycystic' appearance, but don't have PCOS. Also, not all women with PCOS have trouble conceiving. Don't panic!

Good afternoon,

Polycystic ovaries are when your ovaries are covered in cysts. These cysts are follicles that didn't develop into eggs. PCO can affect fertility.
    Did you FS order blood tests to check your hormone levels?
    I know it is really, really hard not to worry but there is alot they can do for ladies like us.

I'd google PCO to get some basic information but most definetely talk to your FS. Write down any questions you have so you don't forget them.

Hang in there.

Dan

PCO doesn't actually necessarily affect fertility. I think you're thinking of PCOS which is a different thing altogether. Many women suffer from PCO but they don't necessarily suffer from PCOS.

About 25% of women have ovaries that can be diagnosed as polycystic on ultrasound. This is called PCO and it can occur for a number of reasons.

Women with polycystic ovaries (PCO) do not necessarily have the syndrome (PCOS).

In PCOS the so-called cysts are actually small follicles that have not matured to release an egg.

AvaLee Guest

Hi, polycystic ovaries are treatable- see a naturopath. Herbs work really well in treating this. I have PCOS and went to see a naturopath and i have a happy, healthy baby who is now 2 1/2. I can put you in contact with a good one- what state do you live in?

Go and see Amanda Haberecht (she practices from Balmain in Sydney). She is a brilliant naturopath with years of experience in fertility/womens health. You can also contact The Jocelyn Centre on 02 93692047. They specialie in fertlity. Hope this helps!

Aussie_Chik Guest

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

I am currently on a cycle watch and am Day 14, so far have had 3 lots of BTand the one ultra sound which involved an internal scan - this is how my FS determined I had PCO. I was told the rest of my BT's up until have been within normal ranges. Apart from the fact that I'm not close to O yet, but anywehre from day 18-24 is normal for me so not too concerned by that. My FS did mention we would have to wait and see if I O this cycle before determining anything any further.

Polycystic ovaries don't automatically mean that you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome so don't worry on that account. If you check out some of the websites, it basically means that you mature multiple follicles in a cycle. Some of which may form cysts. It shouldn't have any real bearing on you unless your other bloodwork shows issues with your insulin, progesterone, LH, FSH, cholesterol etc. Whilst some women with polycystic ovaries DO have PCOS, not all do and many of them have absolutely no issues whatsoever with their fertility.

I was diagnosed with PCOS a long time ago but always wondered if it were really correct as I still seemed to have AF every month, albeit really heavy and really painful. I was prescribed Depo Provera and was on that for some years. Since coming off it, I'm pleased and incredibly relieved that my cycles seem to have come back to *normal*. I had CD21 bloodwork last cycle which showed that everything is functioning as normal so although I do still have some of the symptoms of PCOS, it is highly unlikely that I actually do have it.

Just wait and see what happens, but in the meantime, don't worry about it.

Good luck and I hope you pop the egg soon!

Lisa

All I have to say is look at my sig, there are two names down there I conceived paris about 3 yrs after I was diagnosed with PCOS, wasn't on any fertility treatments had just come off the pill (first cycle). I later found out this is a way to help some people with PCOS (the pill i was on) to regulate cycle. Then we started ttc #2 in 2003 and sadly I had 2 mc/s in oct 2004 and feb 2005 and fell pg again in June 2005 and went on to have a healthy baby boy I went on clomid & metformin to conceive the second time around and had to take astrix to sustain the pregnancy. As scary as it is there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

But ladies. PLEASE...everybody needs to understand that having polycystic ovaries DOES NOT automatically mean that a woman has PCOS!!

I honestly don't know how many other ways I can say it. Many woman have Polycystic Ovaries but NOT ALL of them have PCOS. There IS a difference!!!!

Lisa

I was actually relieved when I got my diagnosis of PCOS... it explained so many things! And even though I know that getting pregnant is going to be a little more difficult, I do know it is treatable.

BW

Thank you Jillian!!!

Lisa

Aussie_Chik Guest

Thank you all so much, your information has been really great.

I have been doing some research on the net but find a lot of it is about PCOS, even when i just do a search for PCO. Anyway, the period of time I think I O is approaching this week so I guess I'll just keep having the BT's and wait and see if it has any affect on that. In the meantime I'm jotting down a whole host of Q's for the FS so i can be well prepared when i see him next.

Sal Guest

Aussie, just remember PCO is just a description of the way the ovaries look. Like Jillian said, if you have PCO but not PCOS it's just like having wavy or straight hair, it shouldn't impact your fertility. Fingers crossed you get satisfactory answers from your FS.

Lisa yes I know sorry for the confusion, I thought Aussie said she did have PCOS... My apologies I didn't mean to cause confusion. I am really not *that* daft

*hugs*
    Cailin

Aussie_Chick- Please get as much info as you can! The ladies are correct about the differences.

I had alot of doctors telling me had PCO and could get pregnant and not giving me the correct info. And because I didn't ask or search more about it I suffered for years being treated for PCO and then finally finding a doctor who had heard of PCO and did the blood test to find I have PCOS. I wouldn't want you be put through that.