Thread: Positions for conception

Kellee Guest

Default Positions for conception

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before (and there are far too many pages for me to search through!) but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about this.

Is there a "best" sexual position to maximise chances of conception? And is there a certain position in which the woman should remain for a time after intercourse to help as well? I know that sounds a bit stupid, but we all need all the help we can get, right?

Default reply

Honey, I just did it in the good ole missionary possie and I got preggers twice!!!

Some people say that you could place a pillow under your butt after sex for 20mins or so, but I didnt.

Good Luck.xx

Melinda Guest

I'm not sure as there are any specific positions that work best.... hopefully someone else can enlighten you in this regard?!

Have you taken a look at the articles on the main BB site that relate to conception? Click HERE for a list of the articles which you might find useful.

I have read a bit on this recently. The 2 best positions (according to what I read) are the missionary position and the guy entering from behind. This is something to do with how deep it can go. I also read the guy should remain inside until he is 'soft'.

Hope this helps...

Alison

Bells Guest

Quote Originally Posted by delta_blue
    I have read a bit on this recently. The 2 best positions (according to what I read) are the missionary position and the guy entering from behind. This is something to do with how deep it can go. I also read the guy should remain inside until he is 'soft'.

Hope this helps...

Alison
    Oh that's interesting to know - the staying inside bit. I think when hubby pulls out sometimes he drags some of the with him....

Bells

We pretty much did what Alsion mentioned above. And after hubby withdrew, i would then lie on my back with my legs in the air for about 5 minutes or so, make sure everything travelled to the right spot, very elegant indeed

Plain ole missionary worked for us

I read up on this a lot before I fell pregnant with Olivia, and in the end, the time we DTD that ended up with a BFP with her was a quickie missionary. No time to lounge around afterwards either as we were running late for a cricket club function.

So whilst I am sure some positions can help, don't worry too much about it either, IYKWIM?

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by angiebaby
    We pretty much did what Alsion mentioned above. And after hubby withdrew, i would then lie on my back with my legs in the air for about 5 minutes or so, make sure everything travelled to the right spot, very elegant indeed

kjorgo1 Guest

I have read that doing it doggy can slightly increase your chances (especially of having a boy) because the sperm are deposited right at the entrance of the cervix (especially if the man is in as deep as possible when he org's) that was the sperm can get straight in to swimming as fast as possible and not waste time swimming up the vagina to find the cervix (that's what I've read anyway). It probably only makes a tiny difference with position anyway!

Jorja

jess127 Guest

interesting topic..... thanks for the information though.

OK... this will be way TMI. lol

This is what we've tried this month. Nothing fancy! Just plain ol' missionary.. but DH 'went' first (which he was quite happy to do!) and then he made me go. (Since we're not too good at timing it to go together hehehe) Anyway.. we did this coz in one of my books it says that when the female goes afterwards, it dips the cervix into the sperm, kinda sucks it up there. Anyway.. we happend to try this right when I was having bad O pains... so we'll see what happens!

Sorry guys.. if you really didn't need to know that!

Ive actually been told the same thing Ivana - about the woman "going" after the man. Hope it did the trick for you!

I found the following on another website:

Many experts suspect that the missionary position (man on top) affords the best opportunity for baby-making, though no definitive studies have been done on this question. This position allows for the deepest penetration and, as a result, places sperm closer to the cervix. For additional effectiveness, the woman can try elevating her hips with a pillow so her cervix is exposed to the maximum amount of semen.

Other possibilities (in case you get bored):

> Rear-entry, when the man enters the woman from behind, either lying down or kneeling, can also deposit sperm close to the cervix and aid conception.

> Lying side-by-side — this can be a relaxing position (great for promoting good sex) and easier on a partner who is overweight or has a bad back — can also help with conception.

Some clinicians also believe that a woman can further increase the likelihood of conception by remaining in bed for up to half an hour following intercourse, preferably on her back and, again, with a pillow under her pelvic region. In theory, this provides the sperm with additional travel time up to the Fallopian tube along with help from the forces of gravity. For women predisposed to getting urinary tract infections and advised to go to the bathroom immediately after intercourse, this is obviously not the best option.

And finally there is the issue of orgasm. His is an absolute necessity for conception, and now new research shows hers may play a role, too. The contractions that accompany the female orgasm may help carry sperm further into the cervix.
    And this which shows positions that are not good for conception....

Experts recommend that you avoid having sex while sitting, standing, or with the female on top. These positions defy gravity and may discourage the upward mobility of sperm.
    HTH

Very interesting girls.
    :-k :-k :-k

Pietta Guest

Well when i fell preg with Ryley I put my legs in the air straight away and left them there for about 3-5 minutes!!

It was VERY classy!!

*TamaraP* Guest

:-k :-k :-k :-k

mmm....thanks for those tips girls