Thread: Pre Conception Counseling with OB

Default Pre Conception Counseling with OB

Have you heard of pre conception counseling with your OB? Does anyone know what it is all about, what reasons would one go to see one? I have been recommended to go, but a bit unsure as to weather my reasons warrant going IYKWIM?

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Ally I have never heard of this! What is it all about? What reasons would constitute this?

I know when having IVF counseling is offered but Ive not heard of it from OB!

Sorry would also love to know more!

I think someone had some back when I was in pre-conception chatter: it's to let you know what pregnancy is going to do and to make sure you're ok, stuff like checking your rubella antibodies and the like. HTH!

Hmmm Not sure? I had the nurse at CYH recommend me to go, after the bad turns i was having after i had DS. She felt that they sounded like a medical problem? I have made an appointment for the end of next week, but didnt even ask the receptionist much about it LOL. Brain not thinking properly lately. I could most likely be pregnant by then too LOL!! I think i will phone tomorrow, and have a chat with the receptionist. I shall let you know!!

I went to my doctor beforehand for this. She gave me a pap, a physical exam, did a whole bunch of bloodwork. Then she gave me a bunch of information sheets on what I (and hubby) should/should not be doing (ie no drinking, taking pre-natal vitamins, etc etc).

Hi Elly,

My GP did exactly the same as what Twin Sister 'said'