Thread: Prenatal vitamins for DH

Default Prenatal vitamins for DH

I was just wondering if I should start DH on folic acid? I've read a couple articles saying that it may help increase sperm motility...

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions

Thanks

Nic xo

hey hun

zinc and a strong antioxident are the best.

good luck , we need to catch up again soon too.

I'm putting DH on Menevit, apparently very good for improving sperm stats

yeah I was reading the same thing about folate- you get just get folate tabs over the counter at chemist and they're fairly cheap like $3 for 100, so wouldn't hurt hun. Also Dh was taking Zinc and a multi vitamin. So Zinc is a good one also.

He's currently taking zinc and fish oil...

There is a history of spina bifida on my side of the family, will him taking folate help out at all?

I did a quick google and there seems to be a body of thought that folate is good for men's fertility/sperm quality, so couldn't hurt.

I reckon with zinc and fish oils it would be a good combination.

Oooh vitamins. Don't do that - my other half had a blood test and was told he was seriously deficient in folate and vitamin D and went on a course of nice strong women's vitamins (men's ones don't have folate). A few weeks later I got pregnant from a 1 shot several days pre-ovulation.

So you really don't want to be doing that vitamin thing, mmmkay. Now what was this thread about again?

Thanks Dusty, I handed him the extra tablet of folate last night and you should've heard the response I got

RumpledElf, I don't really understand your reply considering I'm trying to get pg...

my DH was far from thrilled at the thought of having to take a vitamin, but i managed to con him into menevit and he was ok with taking it.....

both cycles of him taking it we got pregnant....

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

YES, if there's a history of spina bifida then both you and DH should be on the 5mg (not 500mg) of folate for 3 months before you conceive. I have family history as well and was told this by a preconception counsellor and several dr's. My DH took nature's own preconception tabs, maca, folate and zinc; he really liked feeling more involved, tell your DH the time to start being a Daddy is now!

I'm not sure about folate. But I had my DH on Menevit for two months when we finally conceived. He had a low sperm count so I really think it helped. A bit exxy but really worth it for me.

ETA: I just checked & one of the ingredients of Menevit is Folic Acid 500mcg.

HTH
    Last edited by Rowellen; August 5th, 2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Add info

... sarcasm. I'll rephrase ...

Partner had blood test for something unrelated, got told he was very low on folate and vitamin D. He had to take lots of vitamins. I got pregnant while he was on the vitamins, in circumstances where the odds of getting pregnant are supposed to be low. From that, I'd conclude that men taking vitamins certainly does help if you're trying to get pregnant - which I wasn't

Hi hon, my dh took a great male multivitamin (not a specific fertility one) from the company Metagenics and it has just as much folate in it as the womans multi from the same company plus it's got a good dose of zinc in it too. He would also take extra zinc & vitamin C in a powder but that was mainly to prevent colds etc but of course it helps with swimmers. Anyway when we got his swimmers tested the OB said that the results were some of the best he has seen. BTW I can't wait to see your BFP announcement!!!

Sperm Max is meant to be better then Menevit! U can get it from ur local health store or chemist. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies everyone... I really appreciate your input!!

Cherished honey, I can't wait for my PA either!!

RumpledElf, ahhh sarcasm!? 15 months of TTC / disappointment must have made me immune to it