Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semen via syringe

Lizzie33 Guest

Default Semen via syringe

Hi girls, I've been reading some articles on using a syringe at home with fresh ejaculate to inseminate a female. My question is do people really do this? Is it safe? How do you do it? My DP is finding it hard to climax at the right time, and I read that this might be an option for us. Sorry if TMI.
    Mindy.

Yes ppl do do it... i think if you do some searching on the internet, you may find it quite common. Esp with couples who are experiencing male fertility issues. When the semen is deposited ditectly into the cervix the rate of conception increases becasue the semen doesn't have to travel through the harsh vaginal tract.

HTH's

Tanya

Lizzie33 Guest

Really!! Are the chances of conception really increased? This sounds like it would be great for us. It's a hard situation - don't want to put too much pressure on my DP to perform, as this could just backfire and he may lose all confidence, but at the same time, if it's not too weird, I would like to try. Any other info from anyone??

We have tried it for a few months Lizzie, for the same reason. It did not work but that is cos I am too old. I researched it on the internet and there were some tips you need to pick up which I can't remember (sorry - not much help) You need to search international sites, not just australian. It has to be not too fresh but not too old as well (i can't remember exact details) as it changes in consistency. Can't remember if it is a 3 or 5ml syringe that you use.
    Gay women used this method before IVF was available to it must work.
    good luck.

I'll track down Jo & get her to have a chat with you. She has a medical condition that does not allow her to have sex, but she is TTC at the moment

Just wanted to say that it's not too weird, I have a friend that tried this prior to IVF as they had similar issues to you guys.

She felt the same way but after researching it on the net they did give it a go, unfortunately they didn't have any success but found out later that she has endo, PCOS and one blocked tube so the odds weren't in their favour.

Good luck!!

Lizzie33 Guest

Thankyou so much Sarah - I would really appreciate that.

No worries Mindy

Hi
    Just thought I would pop my head in and say that it worked for us and we have a 7 yr old son to prove it. I am in a same-sex relationship and with a known donor (friend) and using a 3ml or 5ml syringe we injected the semen into the vagina - it actually doesn't go into the cervix that would actually irritate the cervix and only semen injected into the cervix is done at IVF clinics via IUI with washed semen.

It took us 4 attempts one attempt each month to fall pg we are know trying again and although not successful yet will continue down this path until we are.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

JoDan Guest

I'm here I'm here! LOL

OK So yes DH and I are TTC using a syringe. We use the 5ml as it is that bit longer... We have had 3 months of trying so far, but as my body isn't used to semen/sperm it may take that bit longer, i think i read somewhere that it takes about 5 months before the body may stop rejecting it..

Anyway, yup we have our "fun" and then we collect it up - well suck it up in the syringe! lol as quick as possible, then yup, legs up, and squirt! lol

Best thing about doing it this way, if you always need to pee after sex, you can quickly race to the loo and then come back and lay down to insert! lol

So any specific q's Lizzie?

Ursula, I'm glad it has worked for you guys.. Gives me much hope now..

I do know someone with my condition (vaginismus) has used the syringe method and it worked. She actually had two children this way and then she finally cured her condition. I am keeping my fingers crossed mine may work itself out with the first child.

So yeah, make sure you also sterilise the syringe or get a new one each time. YOu can pick them up from any chemist and they are about 50cents each.

Also, great for if trying and you can't get in the mood but you can help DP out then POP! in it goes.

Argh ok I will shut up now..

Lizzie33 Guest

Thankyou for your reply JoDan, very much appreciated. I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them for me, that would be so great -
    - Are my chances of falling PG actually real - I mean, would the odds be the same as if we conceived the normal way, or slightly less?
    - I have read that it is best to wait 30 mins before inserting the semen because it first congeals, then liquifies a bit, is that right?
    - What syringe to use and how far to put it in? I have read a 10mls syringe is best, and also a five.
    - Any other tips?
    Again, I thank you for getting back to me, and if you don't want to answer any of my questions that is totally fine with me, I'm just grateful youaswered in the fiirst place.

Debbie Lee Guest

Wow... this is all so interesting! I've always wondered about this sort of thing but never thought to ask!

JoDan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie33 View Post
    Thankyou for your reply JoDan, very much appreciated. I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them for me, that would be so great -
    - Are my chances of falling PG actually real - I mean, would the odds be the same as if we conceived the normal way, or slightly less?
    - I have read that it is best to wait 30 mins before inserting the semen because it first congeals, then liquifies a bit, is that right?
    - What syringe to use and how far to put it in? I have read a 10mls syringe is best, and also a five.
    - Any other tips?
    Again, I thank you for getting back to me, and if you don't want to answer any of my questions that is totally fine with me, I'm just grateful youaswered in the fiirst place.
    yes chances are real, you are inserting that spesh stuff in the right place! and as Ursula said it worked for them... so we can only trust that.
    I can't imagine you should wait to insert it, doing it straight away is no different to if you had had sex in the first place.
    Ursula mentioned she uses the 3ml or 5ml, I can only insert something as big as the 5ml width wise but if you can get a ten ml then go for it.

Good luck!

Lizzie33 Guest

Ok, think we'll give it a go - thanks for all you help.

JoDan Guest

No worries Mindy!

I'm not sure if this is at all related, but when my DH had to give a sperm sample (for fertility investigations), we had to keep it warm on the way to the pathology place - it usually liquified after a few minutes of being kept warm (this was what it was supposed to do).

Anyway, I would suggest if you're not inserting it straight away to at least keep it warm (I always found in my cleavage was perfect ) to keep the swimmers as healthy as possible.

JoDan Guest

Thanks Cherie! I never wait! lol DH doesn't even get time to recover before I am yelling "get the syringe quick!" lol fingers crossed it will work for us..

Hehehe Jo - can't let those boys get too complacent! Definitely no rolling over and falling asleep straight away lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast