Thread: Should I?

Default Should I?

Just wondering if I should make an appointment with my GP before TTC. Will I need to have more blood tests to check my immunity to measles etc?
    Can I also say how glad I am that I found this forum! I was frequenting another, but I don't think I would have felt comfortable discussing TTC issues with anyone there, except of course for whoever it was that recommended this forum to me! I guess everyone seems a little more 'grown up' here.

I would certainly do that. That way you can be sure that you are medically ready to conceive and can be sure that your titres for rubella etc are ok. It also means that if you do need to be re-vaccinated, you can do so safely with no fear of being pregnant.

You should also consider starting some form of pre-natal vitamin, particularly anything with added folate. Just be aware that the *generic* dose of 400mcg for folate is the barest minimum and is perfect for lab-rats under optimum feeding conditions and may not be sufficient for a woman in this day and age of chemicals and additives.

If you tell your GP that you are ttc and that you will be charting, it will also help you down the track if you find it difficult to conceive. Half of the hard work is already done so you'll be able to produce your charts and get into the diagnostics.

Good luck.

Lisa

Hi and welcome to BB!!

I didn't have any blood tests done before TTC but I know quite a few ladies on here have. It really is up to you and how much you know about your immunity to measles etc is, as I found out a few years ago that mine was pretty high!!

goldilocks Guest

Jaz, I agree with Lisa...I would highly recommend getting your rubella immunity, etc checked before TTC. Although rubella isn't so common these days, it can have devastating effects on an unborn child if you catch it whilst pregnant. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

Just tell you GP that you're thinking about TTC and they will do all of the necessary blood tests for you.

And yes, definitely start taking folate supplements now!

Good luck, hon!

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

I would do it just for peace of mind. I had a pre-TTC appointment to talk about previous health issues etc. and am going back to have the tests done when we're a bit closer to that point.

Yes i think it's a good idea as i thought i was all good for my rubella immunities but when i had blood tests done after falling preg it was discovered that my immunity was really low and i had to wait til after the birth of dd for my shot

I'm one of those lucky people who doesn't hold rubella immunity at ALL! With every child I've had, I've had to have a rubella shot afterwards.

Typical really that the only time I had my titres tested and it came back ok was when I was pregnant with Zac, and of course, I lost him!

Lisa