Thread: Silly Question

*Kristee* Guest

Question Silly Question

Hey girls,
    Does fertility friend work on very long cycles?
    Do i have to wait till AF to start temping??
    I know they are silly questions but i just want to try and work things out for when i start trying.
    TIA

Yep you can use ferility friend with long cycles. When you join up, you have to enter average cycle length (I think! I signed up 2 yrs ago so not sure anymore!). You can start temping whenever you want, no need to wait for AF.

BTW, no such thing as a silly question

I started temping mid cycle, as soon as we had decided to ttc. That way I knew what temps would do around AF time so I could compare in the tww. When you start fertility friend you enter when your last period was and work on the cycle day from where you are up to

*Kristee* Guest

Thanx girls,
    it's just that i have just had a heap of blood tests done and everything seems normal yet it has been 10 weeks since my last period and still no sign of her....so am a bit down on whether i will be able to concieve naturally again

Having just come out of an 11+ week cycle, I can tell you that FF is great!

All the paper charts I've seen go to 40 days, max. FF just keeps stretching out longer and longer as much as you need.

Kristee, I notice that your daughter is still quite young... it may just take time after baby to get back to normal, particularly if you are breastfeeding.

BW

I was thinking the same thing as BW... Maybe the long cycle is in relation to Tarleha still being very young.

*Kristee* Guest

Girls i am not currently breastfeeding only did for the first 5 days.
    I asked about the factor of Tarleha being so young, but since i have had one period since her birth and hormones are normal the doc says it has nothing to do with her. Does having a long cycle make it harder to get pregnant?
    BW how did you cope with such a wacky cycle without going in sane?

I'm not sure I did stay sane, Kristee. :eek:

I guess one thing that did go in my favour was that very early on we found out I had PCOS, so we always knew there was a reason for things to be so crazy, it was just a matter of trying to find a solution to the problem.

Did you have a regular cycle before Tarleha?

BW

*Kristee* Guest

BW my cycles befor Tarleha were anywhere between 4 to 6.5 weeks long, so no not very normal. They started to test for PCOS and then i feel pregnant sooo i asked my doc about the possibility of PCOS but he said that i don't have PCOS so i spose my body is just stuffed.

Why did they say no to PCOS? Not every woman with PCOS has difficulty conceiving, and it isn't always impossible for women with PCOS to conceive withouth assistance.

If there are other signs that indicate PCOS, then I'd ask for a cycle tracking blood tests, and an internal ultrasound to check the state of your ovaries.

BW

*Kristee* Guest

BW i don't know all the symptoms of PCOS, can you fill me in? If you have PCOS doesn't it mean a hormone is out of whack or what?

By the way this may be tmi
    but about half an hour ago when i wiped i had like a pinkish/brownish tinge and a little darker bits (look like a little bit of what i used to get at the end of a period) and there has been nothing since!! Does this mean my periods are on their way? Or are there other explanations for things like this (implantation, ovulation i dunno)

spotting can arise for any number of reasons... it could mean that AF is about to arrive, though... just wait and see.

Some of the main symptoms of PCOS include excess weight (particularly around the abdomen), acne, excess body hair (particularly following a masculine pattern), irregular or absent periods... and I think mood swings and depression fit in there as well. Periods also tend to be extremely painful, heavy and clotty.

However, it is possible to have those symptoms, but not have PCOS, it's also possible to have PCOS but not have many of those symptoms. I'm not overweight, have never in my entire life had acne problems, don't have much of an issue with excess hair (a few coarse ones around my nipples and in a line up my belly heading for my navel - they get plucked easily enough). But I do have the unbelievably irregular periods. And then there are the cysts on my ovaries.

PCOS arises through insulin resistance - I can't remember the exact mechanism of it all, but it does mean that hormones do get out of balance, and there tends to be an excess of the male hormones. That said, my hormone levels are also very normal (only a slight excess of free androgens), so it's actually pretty strange that it's taking so much effort to get me to ovulate at all!

BW

My PCOS is the sort where I have the pot belly, a bit of male pattern hair, the cysts on the ovaries and usually no periods!! I used to be stick thin with no symptoms apart from the lack of periods but when I put on weight (because of the pill and stress from a bereavement) my symptoms increased. It wasn't a massive increase either. Just from a size 12 to a 16. I haven't got the insulin factor so Metformin doesn't work with me (or didn't when I tried it) but I have not been able to shift the weight. I thought I would just add so that you could see that PCOS has many forms!!