Thread: Spa's and TTC?

amben Guest

Default Spa's and TTC?

Hi all,

I am going up to Brisbane to see my parents this weekend and we are booked into a hotel witha spa, i love spa's but I don't want to use it if it may affect us TTC. I have been OPKing the last 10 days and finally got a faint line yesterday so I am hoping the stong line shows up today and we can get some BD in before I go. I just don't want to overheat everything and risk killing any leftover babydust so is it best if I just give the spa a miss?

amben
    One or two reasonably temperatured spas shouldn't hurt. It is only when the testes get overheated for too long that things get difficult. Anything too hot and it's going to play havoc with his swimmers and most alarmingly it will take 3 months for him to grow new normal ones. (this is why they often say no hot tubs and no tight underwear for baby-daddy's-to-be).

I know this from personal experience. My DH had a hot bath (too hot for me to get into) a number of nights each week last winter. His sperm analysis (we had to have one because I was on IVF) showed a triple defect (low numbers, low motility and poor morphology). On three subsequent tests he slowly improved after giving up hot baths. After a year of no baths at all - we conceived naturally.

Scientists have known for years that an increase of even 1 degree Celsius in testicular or scrotal temperature can decrease the production of healthy sperm by as much as 40 percent.

amben Guest

So it sounds like I can use it but I won't sit in it for hours!! Hubby isn't coming with me this time he has to stay at home and look after the cat!! I actually think our visit to the thermal pools in NZ for the honeymoon may have killed our chances of conceiving for the few months after but by my calculations they should have recovered now so fingers crossed!!

Yep - you should be fine. Hot baths apparently don't affect conception for us girls but they aren't good news in early pregnancy for the embryo. Just keep it short and don't overheat and you'll be fine!

Princess1979 Guest

Talking

Ok thats it. No more hot baths for my DH. I didn't know that about the hot spa. Thanks girls.