Thread: Sperm acidity?

Default Sperm acidity?

Has anyone heard of increased acidity in sperm, what affect it could have in TTC, and any ideas on anything that could be done about it? My DH recently had a test and all came back normal but the pH was "slightly elevated" - doc said it might not be significant but wanted another test in 6 weeks.

DH loves tabasco sauce, i wonder if this has any bearing on it? :eek:

*Kristee* Guest

Sorry Deni,
    i can't help you as i have no idea, but would be curious to see iwhat the answer is if anyone knows that is...

Hi Deni
    I did a quick google search, and there does seem to be some information there for you - but you've probably already done that. Sorry can't be of more help.

actually i hadn't tried the google search yet! i'll give it a go tonight. I'm a bit worried about entering the relevant key words into my work computer, hehe.
    Thanks anyway girls!

Slightly elevated pH... wouldn't that be more alkaline rather than acid? (pH4-6 acid, 7 nutral, 8-13 Alkaline)
    Anyway...either way, high or low pH can kill off some sperm. You should be looking at a pH of 6-8. You can change his pH with dietry changes and you can also buy pH sticks to test pH for the US (cheaper than form Aust)

HTH's

Tanya

Ahh.. good point Tanya, geez I forgot all my chemistry !! We'll see how we go this month, we're trying pre-seed - maybe that'll help? otherwise will look into diet/further testing if the doc thinks it might be significant.
    cheers girls!