Thread: Are there such things as Phantom Pregnancies?

Question Are there such things as Phantom Pregnancies?

Hey ladies,

In my Dr's words 'my body thinks it's pregnant - but it's not'. He said I am a perfect example of going thru a 'phantom pregnancy'. I have all the signs - still - over four weeks straight - but confrimed by urine, blood and U/S - all negative.

Now I have searched all over the WWW's - and can't find anything relating to human phantom pregnancy - only animals....(does my Dr think I'm a feline??)

What are your thoughts about 'phantom pregnancies'?

Gosh- i've never heard of that!! i think sometimes your body does trick you though( like wishful thinking)

How many DPO are you??

Are they going to recheck you out??

I really hope there's a BFN down the line SOON for you!!

I'm 53 DPO - and counting!

I have a Gyne appt in two weeks - but until then - the Dr doesnt know what to do with me!

that is crazy---------- although i had a 77 day cycle and turned out i had PCOS.

Gosh - don't know what to say!! have enrything crossed for you though!!

I think the phrase may have been coined from the days prior to scans/home HPT's etc etc....

My Grandmother on my Dad's side had "phantom pregnancies"....my Aunt has her diaries where she talks about it: very very sad. (She had had 2 children, then her 3rd and 4th pregnancies were considered phantom, and by reading through, she was very sick in between & very depressed....)

In hindsight the family think that it was most likely blighted ovum/missed mc's.....but she lived in a rural village in the UK through her childbearing years in the 1930's.....so I think she most likely WAS pregnant, but then the pregnancies failed to grow, and they were labelled by her GP as a "phantom pregnancy". Whereas these days, at least we have access to HTP's, scans, blood tests etc.....

Hi Leesa. I've been in a similar situation before where i could have sworn i was pg, but all the tests came back -ive. My gp also said that because i was wanting to be pregnant so desperately that my mind had tricked my body into thinking i was pg (hence phantom pg). It also happend on another occasion as well, but saw a different doc, and he seemed to think that this other time that it was a missed m/c. It's all so confusing. At the moments i'm 2 weeks passed when AF was due, yet again all my tests come up -ive. Had a bt this morning, so just waiting now to see what the results are.

Good luck to you, and i really hope you get your BFP really soon....

Thank you all - I started to think that I was just about to be certified! He he he.

Will keep you updated...but still no AF as yet.

htink i'll be joining you soon though!! CD39 /22dpo no Af and rising temps!!

Red face

Hi Leesa,
    the same thing happend to me, went to the docs swore i was pregnant she did the test looked at me as if i needed a nice white suit with mental institution written on the back of it, went there 2 weeks later again negative and this time she went on and on about sometimes how woman want to be pregnant soo bad their bodies react accordingly etc etc, anyway 8 weeks later i went back (i did my own test this time and took it along for amunition) i shoved it in her face and explained to her that no one knows their body better than themselves! So dont loose hope, you might not be pregnant however you might be! Go with your gut feelings thats all i can say.
    good luck
    shayla

mummy to: George 5, Perry 4, Eva 2 and baby Christian already 8 months old!

My cousin had a "phantom pregnancy"
    She was convinced that she was pregnant... went to the Dr's and was given a BFN... AF didn't show up at all... went to the Dr the next month and got a BFP.... funny enough though, she had scans done, which showed her to be correct with the BFP dates... but, she had her daughter 3 weeks early? She still believes to this day that she was pregnant with her daughter back when she got the BFN, and thats why she came early. Who knows... I don't contact her, I heard all this through another cousin

hey leesa- what happenend?? you okay??

JoDan Guest

I think there was a episode of ER that had a phantom pg.

i think i had a phantom preg the month before I fell pregnant with Jordan
    I was having what I thought was MS, late period, all tests were negative. Then I got a really heavy period and that cycle I fell pregnant.????

It was really odd.

melbuck Guest

Hi there, im new to this but i am going through phantom pregnancy. Im sick of all the symtoms and no rewards. two tests both neg still no period and still sick.

Leesa, the cycle before I fell pg I had a "phantom pregnancy" - a 23d luteal phase, 55-day cycle, sore breasts, nausea, off various foods and stuff... just as I started to get my head around the idea that I may be pg and should do a test at the weekend, AF arrived (drat her!). And she stayed for a full week, not her usual 5 days! The good news is, the next cycle I had I did get pg, but had nowhere near the amount of symptoms I had the previous cycle!

Looking at other replies, it would appear a phantom pregnancy is quite a good sign!