Thread: Trouble swallowing tablets?

kathy_w Guest

Default Trouble swallowing tablets?

I dont know if its only me, but I have never been able to swallow tablets... Is there anyone else out there who has this problem? If there is, some suggestions as how you get around this...? I use honey most times and only use them when I really have to.. PLEASE help! Any replies much appreciated!

Hi Kathy!

I used to have to use honey as well to get tablets down, but now I have a big gulp of water, put the tablet in, and swallow. It seems to work for me!

Good luck!

I take the big tablets with a huge mouthful of some sweet drink like cordial. I find it sticks on my tongue otherwise and makes me want to gag. Can you break the tablet up into smaller bits? Or maybe take it with food?

I find it much easier to take them now that I take a big gulp of drink first and then slip the tablet in! That way, I rarely even notice it. When I used to put the tablet in first and then drink, I usually brought it back up!! lol

kathy_w Guest

thanks for all the replies! I will have to give that a try...hopefully it will work. I got these vitamins from my naturopath, i didnt even try swallowing them, they are sooo huge. Luckily I am on a tonic instead

I also get the tablets stuck in my throat and choke almost all the time. I have taken to chopping them all up into small bits which helps enormously.
    But pregnancy vitamin capsules pose a definite problem, are there any good tablet forms available that I can take and chop up?

S'rose

I find that if I place the tablets right at the very back of my tongue, then take a swig of something and toss my head back whilst swallowing it is the only way I can get tablets down without gagging.

Lisa

west56 Guest

hi if you place the tablet under your tongue then take a drink your tongue will automatically sweep the tablet up an take it to the back of your throat. i was thought this from a ward sister when i was nurse training years ago. i worked every time.

My mum use to crush the tablet/s in a cup with the back of a spoon then mix some honey in with the crushed tablet.
    Last winter we gave DD some ease a cold tablets, which were too big for her to swallow, so we crushed it and added the honey, and she drank them with water or milk. She thought it was great that she didnt have to swallow a pillow! Some tablets are easy to crush and others are really hard, like the ease a cold ones.

Nic

I tried the under the tongue method when in hospital last year. The nurse giving me the tablets SWORE it wouldn't fail. Unfortunately, she then had to go and get fresh bedlinen and organise to have my room mopped. The never fail....failed.

Lisa

kathy_w Guest

Thanks for the replies again, yeah I usually just do the crushing up in honey thing, I think it has the same effect , youre still swallowing them after all, hey? That under the tongue trick sounded too good to be true!!

Yep, should be no difference Kathy. That is what my mum was told to do by her nurses, she had some meds that were in powder form and needed to be mixed with something.

Nic

Yup - me too! I have always had difficulty taking tablets - I had to use children's panadol (liquid) until I was in my 20's *runs away embarrassed*

Now I have pretty much perfected a technique where I put the tablet right on the FRONT on my tongue. I then close my mouth, and take a few deep, relaxing breaths. Mostly, this settles my gag reflex. I then take a huge gulp of water and wash the whole lot down all together, imaging that it's just a tablet-sized piece of food that I'm swallowing.

Hi Kathy,
    If you ever do chop the tablets up you must be careful that they are not slow release ones. I mentioned to the doc that i cut the pills he gave me in half, and he said that some tablets and vitamins are coated so that they dissolve slowly and then work over a longer period of time. By cutting them up, this ruins that effect and then the dosage can be wrong.
    Might pay to ask the doc or chemist.
    Jo