Thread: TTC after hubby's cancer...does anyone have any advice?!!

court79 Guest

Default TTC after hubby's cancer...does anyone have any advice?!!

Hi!!

My husband is 29 and I am 26, and we are both in good health now, howevermy hubby was diagnosed with testicular cancer approximatey 18 months ago and had surgery to remove the affected testicle and one shot of chemo. he has since been given the all clear which is great

We have been TTC for 4 months (yes I am impatient already!! its not happening quickly enough!!) and I was wondering if anyone knows what impact his treatment may have on our ability to concieve.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Court79
    Chemotherapy does not cause permanent infertility in most men with testicular cancer although most men will be temporarily infertile following chemotherapy. In some men fertility may not recover, particularly those who have had very high doses of chemotherapy.
    A man with one healthy testicle can still have a normal erection, produce sperm and father a child. Therefore, surgery to remove just one testicle does not make a patient impotent.
    Also, if your partner had surgery to remove the lymph nodes this can cause infertility because it may interfere with the nerves involved in ejaculation. Some men may recover the ability to ejaculate without further treatment; others may be helped by medication. For many, though, it could be permanent.

Hope this helps

Alan (Midwife)

court79 Guest

Default thanks!!

Thanks for your help Alan!, that has taken alot of the worry out of TTC for us! Iguess we will just need to be patient and see how we go!
    Thanksagain

Hey Court,

Just going through some old posts & came across your one! My friend's DH had the same thing happen to him a few years ago (as well as he had a different sort of cancer when he was younger). They had a lot of problems falling pregnant and went through 4 IVF cycles with no luck.

Last June she had a miracle!!!! Her litle bubba is due this month. So what I'm trying to say is that it may take time, but it still can happen.