Thread: TTC and Zyban?

Default TTC and Zyban?

While i know you shouldnt take any type of NRT while preg, or TTC, does anyone have experience with this?

Basically i am a smoker, not heavy but not light, and i am struggling to give up. Ashamed to admit that but i am...

Has anyone tried Zyban?

YES! I have to admit, it worked.
    But i wouldnt be taking it and TTC, the way it affects you is so strong - i dont think that wold be good for a little one.

Baically, zyban was developed as an anti depressant - then they discovered all the people on the trials who were smokers quit! Its amazing - you are supposed to continue smoking like normal for 1 week then gradually cut down the next.
    i just didnt want them and couldnt smoke, they tasted disgusting by day 5. so much for smoking for 2 weeks after you start!

i would wait to ttc

well i am in the tww at the moment.
    so maybe i see how i go with this cycle and give it a try, i was told that its a once only perscription. and you can never have it again, is it expensive, what were the possible side effects?

its was a twice only persciption, though that may have changed.
    from memory i think it was about $90?

there are possible side effects, heart palpitations etc. you can read more here Bupropion (Zyban SR)

personally, i was kept awake a little at night and became dumb, dopey as hell! quite like being pregnant actually!!!

best of luck with quitting, its hard but once you have stopped you feel soooooo good

Hi,

I wouldn't be taking Zyban while TTC. Its a Pregnancy Category B2:

Category B2
    Drugs that have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age, without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the human fetus having been observed. Studies in animals[1] are inadequate or may be lacking, but available data show no evidence of an increased occurrence of fetal damage. For drugs in categories B1, B2 and B3, human data are lacking or inadequate and subcategorisation is therefore based on available animal data. The allocation of a B category does not imply greater safety than the C category.