Thread: TTCing and study...

Default TTCing and study...

Just wondering if anyone has TTC during full time study? Its a tough call for us btwn the polyp and needing assistance with ovulation when I am already over 30yo. I still have a further 3yrs of my course. The 'logic' part of me thinks we should wait til AFTER i have completed all of my studies but then I would be 34yo trying to get preg for the 1st time with fertility issues.

I am unsure and just wondering if anyone else has been preg during their studies.

Thanks!

yep- i had my first but deferred the year i was having him which was 2005, and now im ttc no2. im full time at uni studying nursing and still ave 2 years left, it can be hard but a good suppot system is great if you can get it and organisation, thats my way of getting through. oh an di don't set unrealistic goals for my work, i just aim to pass LOL, but i gt around the 75% which is fine with me, as i dont want to get disappointed if i don't get a certain mark . goodluck ttc

One of our members, Ursula, that just recently had her little girl was TTC & pregnant whilst studying. I think she's on holidays at the moment then straight back into it next term.

Thanks girls! We dont go to the assisted reproductive clinic til the end of Jan but getting this polyp removal in a few weeks

Haleyscomet - I work full time and study part time and am TTC now. It's full on, but because I am busy I have less time to spend daydreaming about TTC and the TWW. I plan to quit work and stay p/time at uni when bub arrives.

Part time uni might be more realistic, but it all depends on what you're studying and the demands of your course - you'll have to think about things like practical rounds or clinicals if you do something like teaching, social work, nursing...

And keep an eye on how tired/stressed it's making you, so watch how prepared/organised you are, and make sure you stay healthy, since uni students can be notorious for not looking after themselves.

I quit uni when I fell pregnant because I got sick of needing to get off the train halfway to pee! Drove me crazy! I kinda was over uni anyway though. The thing is, TTC might be okay, but you'll have to see how pregnancy treats you - you might get wicked morning sickness.

This is my haphazard advice after that ramble: If you're okay with plans being disrupted, go to uni, see how it goes, see how pregnancy treats you, defer to have the baby, and then go back part time. If that suits you!

All the best, whatever you decide, may TTC be short and sweet for you!

I'm currently full time doing my PhD and part time working. I had originally thought about falling pg while writing up my thesis (which I'm in the middle of now). Foolishly back then I believed it was as easy as going off bcp and BDing a lot. Insert loooooong time (16mths and counting) and I have't had post-bcp AF yet, and of course haven't finished my thesis either.
    BUT even if I was having 'normal' cycles, I don't think I'd want to be pg right now as it's really stressful and not good for being pg! But I'm 28 and really want to have a baby before I'm 30...
    My advice would be to try for a baby now, esp if you have fertility issues - you can always try for part time uni later (if the type of course allows/suits it). I couldn't imagine being a Mum right now as well as studying, but my course is fairly full on and I can't really do it part time. Good luck with your decision!

Once you have a baby (maybe even when you are pg) your priorities might change and the course might seem less important. From someone who had babies in her mid thirties, I can say that from my POV, it does get harder as you get older (Having a baby and toddler and sleep deprivation that is). Personally, I would say that if you really want children and you want it before you are 30, try and see how you go. If it happens, you will find a way to make things work. As I said, your priorities might change and that might make decision making easier for you. GL with it all.

My other motivation for quitting uni was that I wanted to be a stay at home mum til about when the kids were in primary school. So - say I have 3 or 4 kids, then having the youngest child in primary school is quite a way off - what if my aspirations have changed by then? I also felt that I'd be seen as more employable coming fresh out of a course, than fresh out of motherhood.
    That was just my take on it at the time, and of course, everyone's circumstances are different.

while i was at uni i personally couldn't have imagined having a baby as well and i was a mature age student (27-31). however, if i had known then what i do now about the difficulty i would have to get pg i may have made the decision to start earlier (although that wasn't an option for me at the time). not knowing your circumstances, or commitment to your study, or you desire to have a family etc it is a hard one. i was fully committed and driven by my studies which i loved, and has set me in a great direction for life, not necessarily focusing on my career, which i am not that interested in per se, but understanding and learning more about an area i am passionate about and continue to be passionate about. it defines me and my actions and values in many ways.

melanie has a good point that your priorities and interests may change when you have a baby. also i have friends that have incorporated babies into their lives and continued to pursue their academic interests be it in a different or similar way.

life continually throws up choices and opportunities to us and we can only do the best we can in making decisions - not necessarily knowing the outcome is part of the journey/adventure

good luck with it all

Studying and TTC are a hard thing to do together but if you have a supportive partner, you can have it all. I went back to uni in 2003 and we started TTC. I was pregnant while starting my honours (part time by correspondence) and I worked full time. When DD was born in 2004, I deferred for one year because I didn't realise how exhausted I would be from looking after a newborn. I finished my thesis in 2005 while working part time. I'm so glad I went back to uni even though I had to alter my plans half way through. It was very worth the effort as now I have a 3 1/2 old daughter and a job I worked quite hard to get....