Thread: Vitex - Can it do this?

sydangel68 Guest

Default Vitex - Can it do this?

Hi I am new to this forum, looks like I will find lots of support here.

I am TTC#2, DS is 2.5yo.

I have had the Mirena IUD for 2 years and recently had it removed. Have had 2 real cycles since the removal, 1st cycle O was pretty normal, however this cycle its looking to be annovulatory or otherwise really long, if I do end up O.

I took vitex, b complex and b6 this cycle as I wanted to extend my LP and also to help with the ECM, as I didn't have any last month.

Could the vitex has prevented ovulation? I have never not O before.

Thought I'd read on here that someone else had this occur when taking vitex.

Thanks for reading.

Regards
    Angela

I found that Vitex brought my O date forward and lengthened my LP.

It is more than possible to have an annovulatory cycle, especially if you've just come off a contraceptive. I'd be more inclined to think it is just your body ironing out the bumps rather than the Vitex.

Lisa

Hi Angela, they say it usually takes about 3 months for things like Vitex and other TCM herbs to really get working. I personally would stick with it a bit longer unless your body intuition is telling you "no!"

Good luck on your TTC journey!

I took vitex on a couple cycles and I found it actually made me O a few days later, but didnt make my cycle any longer so it really had the opposite effect to what its meant to. I did O still, but it just made it happen a little bit later. Sorry, that probably wasnt helpful?

I took Vitex and B6 last cycle and my temps were heaps more consistant, I Oed as normal and I feel pregnant this cycle as well.

I know that herbs are slow acting and as Marydean stated above that they can take 3 months to take effect. I would just wait and see and give your body time to adjust.

Goodluck

Vitex interfered with my ovulation as well and lengthened my cycle (it was 29 days to start with). I am still not really sure why the naturopath put me on it.

I found as soon as I dropped it, my cycles and ovulation returned to normal.

sydangel68 Guest

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it might just be pushing out my ovulation date and making this a really long cycle, as I had ovulation pain last night and this morning there was a large thermal shift. So possibly have just ovulated.

I've never had much luck with OPKs, so usually just monitor via my temps.

Melbo: Interesting, I am going to drop it next month and see if things return to normal as I've always had a 28 day cycle with O between day 10-17. Now on Day 21, so if I have ovulated, this is going to be a very long cycle.

Thanks again,
    Angela

Hope2006 Guest

Hi Angela,

I never have any luck with OPK's as well!
    I have been taking Vitex for about four months now. For the first three months i wasn't even ovulating (due to personal trauma that apparently shut my body down; my Dad passed away and apparently i went into shut-down mode). I was taking my temps so i knew through that plus also i had no EWCM. Then last month finally i o'ed again. I am hoping we will have some luck this month.

I think it was the Vitex that has helped my body to function properly again. I took it for about five months before i conveived my little boy, so i am hoping it will help me again this time!

Cheers and best of luck,
    Sharon.