Thread: Weight Loss and Fitness

Default Weight Loss and Fitness

Hello

I have been TTC for the past 4 months to no avail. I was just wondering is anyone has found that losing weight and increased fitness has helped you to conceive? Hubby and I have been quite lazy through winter and have both put on quite a few kilos since our honeymoon in April! Possibly time to get back out walking again now that the weather is getting a bit warmer!

Just like to hear everyones views on this. I know that being fit and healthy helps the baby once conceived but what about during the TTC stage? Does it effect sperm count or ovulaton?

It certainly does help. Being overweight can affect yoiur fertility just as being underweight can. I read that you should have a body fat percentage of 25 for ideal conception and a BMI between 20-25.

It is always a good idea to be has fit as you can before pregnancy anyway.
    Give it a go. It can't hurt!

Excercise also increases cervical mucus so a few light workouts around O time makes it easier for the swimmers to reach the egg. Since excercise raises body temprature which isn't good for sperms (especially if DH is wearing tight undies) make sure that DH doesn't workout to vigourously around O time and if he does its better to wait for a few hours afterwards so that he has time to produce some more sperms.

Go out there and start walking! Yes, exercise is great and will get you fitter for the bedroom too!

I am a competitve athlete and had no probs falling preggo with my first. I have a BMI of 19 and body fat of around 17/18 % so don't worry that you are losing too much, AS long as you eat well, drink lots of water and slowing increase your exercise. This of course goes for your partner as well.... get him fitter too, but don't wreak yourselves, especially around O time...

good luck.. and have fun.