Thread: What have you done to change diet for TTC

Default What have you done to change diet for TTC

Hi Girls,

After 3 months of trying I thought maybe I am doing something wrong in terms of what I eat. Following is my everyday diet:

Oats and coffee for breakfast
    Museli bar or Le Snack for morning tea
    Sandwich for lunch
    Apple for afternoon tea
    Coffee before going home for the day
    Water all through the day
    Dinner usually meat/chicken and vege, pastas, stir frys.

Don't have take away all the time, maybe 1 time a week. Don't eat junk food everyday but drink a lot of coffee. Have some sort of alcohol every weekend, but don't go overboard neither does DH.

What do you think I should add/change?

Bella - u sound like ur on a great diet...nice and healthy and good amounts Maybe u could try and cut back a bit more coffee but don't punish urself too much!

I'm just beginning TTC #2 and am pretty much just eating a well balanced diet, trying to decrease my caffeine intake and am trying to avoid alcohol all together. I'm also taking the preg/breastfeeding multivitamins (as i'm still b/f #1).

Hope u get a soon

What should you change? The coffee. If it isn't decaf, I'd consider switching TO decaf. Caffeine can interfere with conception and implantation. That applies whether the caffeine you drink is in coffee, tea or soft drink.

I would also be adding a good dose of folate to your diet. Unfortunately in the "real" world we simply do not get enough folate naturally so it is vital to supplement when you are ttc.

Also, if you drink a reasonable amount of alcohol, you should probably take zinc to counter-act it.

Lisa

Is tea really that bad? I generally have two cups a day, would that be overkill. Don't like coffee so that's not a problem (and it brings migraines on for me). Tea makes me feel better when I have a queasy tummy.

Oh yeah...am taking folate tablets as well.

I hear so many different stories about coffee, that it does interfere, that it doesn't. I don't drink too much softdrink so no caffeine there...maybe I will just stick to having 1 coffee a day....to wake me up or I am such a cranky person and will scare all my fellow collegues!

Doesn't chocolate of caffeine in it as well?

Great thread Bella!

Chocolate is loaded with caffine too. I'd try switching to decaf if you can. I'd also try and cut out all alcohol whilst TTC.

DisGirl - I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I've been told that tea has as much or even more caffine that coffe does. You may want to look into that?!?

Celsie. xoxox

Oh dear, thanks Celsie!

Tea does contain more caffeine than coffee. Slightly.

I was watching that new medical show the other night. The Australian one where they take health myths and test them. They did the tea vs coffee test and discovered that it isn't a myth about the caffeine.

They also did the good old "tight pants affect sperm count" myth as well and busted it open too.

Lisa

I followed the recommendations of the book 'The Natural Way to Better Babies' by Franscesca Naise & Jeanette Roberts. I changd my diet to no alcohol or caffeine and ate well and conceived on the first try. Now we are TTC # 2 and haven't yet been successful and I have not changed my diet much this time.

Thanks Celsie!

I just don't know *sigh*.

My best friend didn't do much of changing her diet. She smoked, drank, had coffee and tea and she feel pg almost before she could ask her DP to DTD with her lol

There are so many myths out there you just don't know. But I think I can cut down on caffeine, I have only had 1 today but I drink a tonne of water per day.

I don't like the sounds of the "tight pants" think. My DH is a rock climber and I asked him if his harness is tight around his sprem warmers, he said that they were ok...I hope he is right!!! lol

Don't worry too much about the tight pants. The myth was busted completely. They tested a group of young guys for 6 weeks. They were in a band. Had to wear jeans a few sizes smaller, so things were VERY squeezy. Didn't affect their sperm count in the slightest and in fact I think that at least one of them had an increase in numbers. It's more the temperature that is important I think.

On the subject of "vices" and conception. The sad fact is that no matter where you go you will always hear about the women who did everything "wrong" and still had a healthy baby. That doesn't make it right.

But, I don't judge anybody by what they do or don't do as I don't live a perfect life myself. I just do believe that your odds of conception AND a healthy baby are better if you try to follow a healthier lifestyle and exclude as many of the "legal" drugs (nicotine and caffeine amongst them) from your system as you can so that you are in optimum health when you conceive in order to be able to create a healthy baby.

Good luck.

Lisa
    PS. Don't feel too badly if you can't give up chocolate. Studies have shown that chocolate is an anti-depressant. And I know I get depressed if I DON'T eat it. A happy mum = a happy baby!

I gave up Diet Coke! I was drinking so much, i realised one night when i was out after having 5 cans of it. Everyone else was drinking alcohol which i gave up a few mths ago and my friend (who knows we are TTC) said diet coke is probably just as bad. So i stopped. I haven't had a dc in about 2 mths! Ouch. I can't give up chocolate though. I just can't no matter how hard i try.

Another thing for me is, I don't eat red meat and i hate green veg. So i've started making veggie soup, blending it and i can eat it! Can't have lumps though, makes me gag! so i guess thats helping me a lot as well.

I don't think i have changed much else. I'm a bit of a gym junkie so i look after myself pretty well. Just need more iron rich foods and i'll be right!