Thread: What would you do?

newjob Guest

Default What would you do?

We have been ttc our first for 7 months. I have been very bored in my job for 12 months, so applied for a fab new job and got it! Didn't want to put my life on hold ttc and felt like I was focusing on it too much. Anyhow if we get a BFP this month, I will find out the day I start my new job. In two minds as to whether or not to ttc this month or leave it a couple of months. Would feel horrible having to say I am pregnant after just starting a job but starting a family is more important to me. What would you do?

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi

That is a tough situation!I'd probably do both!I'd continue ttc and apply for the new job.You just never know how things pan out.If you did get pregnant just before you started the job then its not your fault and you could tell them after your 12 weeks instead of straight away.

Firstly, congrats on the new job - it is so excting when people do what they actually want to be doing.

The only thing I would consider is the maternity leave provisions. In some places if you have been there 12 months you get extra benefits which would only mean putting TTC off for a couple of months.

Playing the devils advocate for a moment, if it may be that the new boss would be really miffed if a brand new staff member got pregnant and may try to find something wrong with their performance during the probationary period (I assume you have one - it seems that most jobs do these days) so that they don't have to keep you on.

Hmmm, not an easy thing to decide.

I started a new job 6mths before we got married and i told them straight up what time I'd need off for the wedding and honeymoon etc and they were fine...

...BUT, like Kirsty said, continue but hold off telling them for 12wks in case of what Taffy said and your boss gets a bit snakey about it. Maybe it wont be a problem but do what is in your heart - if you don't want to put off TTC, then don't.

BTW, welcome to BB!

newjob Guest

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much for your support and advise. I am not too worried about not being entitled to maternity leave. It is just being a pain to my new employer that I am worried about. I think we will still try this month and if it is meant to be, it will be I guess! Thanks again!

Janie Guest

How much time are you intending taking off?

I just started a new contract this week and am due in October. While September/October are really busy months, I can get most of the work done before I leave and then November, December, January are pretty quiet around here. They would need to get someone to cover my work but I'm only planning on having 3 months off so it wouldn't be too long (4 months if you count before I'm actually due).

Start your new job and see how you go.

Good luck!

I support what Taff said. I work in HR and while it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of pregnancy, they can create a performance reason to sack u if your peformance isn't satisfactory (especially in the probation period). Depends on how large your new employer is etc.

I am in the opposite situation. I have been TTC for 18 mths now and found out before Xmas that I would probably be made redundant in July. While I am fine with that (the payout will be welcome and I am confident that I will get another job quickly) it sucks that I won't be able to take advantage of the 12 weeks paid leave that I would otherwise be entitled to. Also, if I do become redundant should I become pg now to take advantage of the time off with the $$ I get or hold off TTC until I get another job and then wait 3+ months to ensure that I get maternity leave provisions?

Anyway......