Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about BF and TTC......

Default Wondering about BF and TTC......

Does BF have any affect on TTC?? With Oskar and Joshua for that matter I fell pg first try. This time we're up to cycle # 3. The only difference is that I'm BF. So, does it affect things or is it just coincidence??

Yup it does. The hormone that produces breastmilk (baby brain can't remember the name) can affect implantation.

Thanks Sarah. Kinda makes me feel sad cos it creates an awful crossroads in my mind. I think in a lot of ways I'd be able to give up BF but I don't think Oskar would have a bar of that! Thanks again.

It is absolutely possible though. Kelly fell pregnant with Elijah whilst still BF Marisa, so it can definitely happen. Don't give up hope & if you still want to BF I wouldn't give that up either. It just might take a bit longer.

unfortunately for us we had to stop bfing completely before we fell pregnant with #2 .. and it was a big decision but we really wanted them close together
    DD took to formula really well in a cup and pretty much weened in 2 days cold turkey so i figured she was ready anyhow

We got out BFP 4 weeks after stopping BF'ing completely.. so first cycle

Ozzie, generally bfing will stop ovulation for the first 6 months as long as you are bfing exculsively (ie no ff or solids), are feeding at least once in the night, and AF hasn't appeared. After that ovulation will restart at some point, this can be sooner for some women, later for others.

By the sounds of it, you are having AF already, so most likely are Ovulating. Bfing or not, it is entirely possible for you to fall pg in this case. I have not heard that the bfing hormones prevent implantation before - not to say that it's not true, but I don't think that's a common issue. I know several people who have fallen pg while bfing - myself included. Jack was 11 months when Tom was conceived after just 3 irregular cycles (with Jack we were TTC for a lot longer than that and I wasn't bfing!). So I would hang in there. The chances are it won't be too much longer for you.

My FS told my friend that he would not do an embryo transfer until she had finished BF because it woud affect the chances of implantation taking place. Not sure why, she didn't go into it with me.

i fell pregnant when DD#2 was 9 months old - i hadnt had AF post partum...so obviously Ovulated, and caught the eggy before my 1st AF was due to start - oh, we werent trying and i was on the mini pill too LOL....so yes, it can happen, even when you dont expect it.

That's interesting Sarah, thanks for that info. I'm curious about that now. I have heard that people aren't allowed to start IVF while bfing but thought it had to do with the taking of hormones. I will have to do some research LOL!

Thanks girls it's certainly times like this where I have really come to appreciate the BB girls and the knowledge between us all and being able to help each other You've made me feel teary, so maybe I wouldn't have been ok with stopping BF cos I think I kinda feel that sense of relief and hope now. I think that it's a decision I didn't want to HAVE to make. I was having a bath before and was thinking about it and kinda decided that for a little bit longer I'll just go with the flow and hope that it happens without me having to take any action.

PP, it is hard to make decisions like that isn't it. In a way I was feeling like is it fair to stop because of what we want and then with the next let them self wean. I don't know how in my mind I'd deal with that.

MR, yep I have AF. Came back after 12 months, this is my 4th I think... fairly sure anyway..lol. They've been quite regular except last cycle was 2 days late. I've been using maybe baby which I did with Oskar also but the transition phase before O'ing has definitely been longer than it was with Oskar so I was already wondering about the hormones etc with BF.

mbear, I hope that we have some baby dust luck like you had!! Send me some...hehe.

ozziehoffy
    I had problems with coming to terms but honestly,
    DD is fine! she survived on formula from 7 months - it didnt hurt her (i mean DH and I were both botle fed bubs not BF and we are ok! lol).

And now 3 months out from meeting our little #2.. i know i made the right decision

PP... I hope you didn't think I was directing my thought patterns at your decision. Joshua was weaned at 5 months and FF so I wasn't knocking your decision. I think it's more that Oskar has been such a great BF'ing bub that it's just been so easy to do however, I do sometimes wonder if he's ever going to stop..lol.

oh no not at all OH! lol... just letting you know how i came to terms with the decision!

Just bumping this thread cos I have another question now....

Someone mentioned to me that while BF even though AF is regular that maybe O'ing isn't regular within the cycle. Does that make sense... ?? annovulatory cycles??? Can anyone possibly help with this?

The reason the question came up is I use maybe baby and today at CD9 it shows what looks like full on ferning (which for those who don't know - you use saliva on a little microscope and there is partial ferning leading into and out of O time and when you O is shows full on ferning - which yes, look like fern fronds) which really shouldn't be cos I shouldn't really O until late this coming week.

hi ozzie!
    yes you can get your period and not ovulate.
    Unfortunately with BF - maybe baby is useless and inaccurate. I wouldnt use it to predict ov until you have had 2 cycles post weaning.

You could always try dtd every 2nd day for a while/
    tormenting i know lol but it is hard to predict

Yeah I heard the same thing about Maybe Baby, that the breastfeeding hormones can make full ferns when you're not ovulating. Not sure why though.

ETA: I just had a look at the MB website -

Will breast-feeding affect my results?

Yes, if you are breast-feeding your results could be inaccurate. This is due to hormonal changes in your body.

Well, there you go! Thanks for that info girls Does that mean that if I am O'ing that even with a regular cycle the O'ing can be irregular within that cycle??

Not sure about the Oing question, but just wanted let you know that I got pregnant while breastfeeding, and it only took two months after AF arrived. This is after we had to do IVF to have the first one, so it definitely can be done. If you are getting signs of ovulation, I reckon there's a definite chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast