Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a George Foreman grill?

Default Does anyone have a George Foreman grill?

Just wondering if anyone out there has one of those George Foreman grills, and if you find it to be useful/worth it or not?

My sister has one, and she says its fantastic, easy to use, and healthier of course...

But I would like to hear more opinions before I think about asking for one for Christmas

Ambah, we have a george. I was dead set against getting one, DH pestered me for months until I gave in. I use it all the time now.
    I find it is a pain to clean sometimes, probably because some nights I leave if for a while before cleaning it, and I think it's best to clean it with a bit of heat in it that way it doesn't get baked on IYKWIM. But I switch it back on for about 20 seconds and let it heat up, turn it off and clean.

We also get mountain bread and fill it with ham cheese tomato etc, roll it up and pop it in george to toast it a bit.

We got ours from Kmart, they were hugely reduced because a new model was on it's way out at the time I think.

they also have little sponges with the grooves in them so they fit george for cleaning, but I found they don't like the heat much LOL!

Nic

Ambah, we don't have a foreman grill, just a cheaper alternative. the only thing I don't cook on it is sausages, as I find they go too dry cos all the fat goes out of them (which of course is the idea but I hate dry sausages!!!)
    They can be hard to clean, I found mine most difficult after cooking chicken. But I just spray some cooking oil on it now before chicken, and I love it.. so its not a foreman, but its just as good!!!!

I've had one for about three years now and its been used no more than 5 times. While its a healthier way of cooking (and you can see the fat coming out of the meat! Yuck) i just cant be bothered cleaning it - as the others have said, its a PITA.

motherduck Guest

I have had mine for a while and use it on occasions when i can be bothered getting it out of the cupboard it is a bit of a pain to clean but it is nice to see all the fat coming out of the meat.

Thanks for starting this thread I'll be interested to see what people have to say as well.

We did have one of the large ones but it was to big for my kitchen so i sold it and brought a breville one which does the same thing. I like the breville more and the drip tray clips onto the machine.

i have had mine for about a year and i hate cleaning it but love how all the fat comes out now that im on the tony ferguson diet!! so a yes for me!

i can't say i love cleaning the grill afterwards, but it's not that big a drama really - and the food is much less fatty - i think it makes the food much less fatty - things like rissoles are brilliant - they cook up nicely, and the fat just drains away! the one thing i do find though is you can't cook a thick steak right through - you can only have thinner stuff - and things like chook fillets need to be cut to be similar in thickness otherwise you'll have one corner of it a bit darker than the rest to make sure it's cooked through. Bacon cooks up like a treat - nice and crispy - but not fatty - all drains away - tastes brilliant!

the ones with an adjustable temperature control and timer are better than the standard ones - the one i have has one heat - where the one my parents have has adjustable temperature - i sometimes find that having the one heat works against us if cooking something like chicken that you want to cook more slowly and right through...

We have the same one as michelle and love it. I tend to use a few different cloths when cleaning, I use a grill sponge (with grooves) and also a microfibre cloth.

I had one... just sold it on ebay... I never used it, I HATED cleaning it... and the food I cook doesn't have much fat anyway... so nothing ever run out on to the trays.

Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone!

At this stage it sounds like it might be worthwhile getting one... and I know they are often on sale, so can will ask for one for Christmas, or might look in the after christmas sale.

Would people agree that its an easier way to cook? My sister says she can throw meat and veggies on there at the same time (ie, tomatoes), and its just very simple and hassle free... which is what I want, especially as I will have a newborn in a couple of months!

It sounds like I just have to make sure to get myself into the habit of cleaning it up ASAP, as things that are hard to clean annoy me!!

we've gotten into the habit of cleaning as food is being dished up. we put the meat out, and while i put vegies out, hubby cleans the George - and it takes barely any effort cos it is still hot! as soon as it cools down, stuff cakes on, which is a PITA - but it's not too bad - as someone mentioned before, you can just flick it back on to warm it up a bit...

Hi Ambah!

We have a George Forman grill and use it occassionally however, we also have a George Forman Roaster which we use all the time (mainly in winter) and it cooks the perfect roast EVERY time! My DH thinks I'm a domestic goddess and all you do is throw it in and switch the ON button. 90 minutes later, voila!

I don't always get to mine straight away, but like I said, I just switch it back on for a few seconds when I do the rest of the dishes, sit it on the edge of the sink and pour the hot soapy water over it and clean with a chux.

I think it is an easier way to cook Ambah.
    I always have my meat done before the vegies are steamed.

Nic

I find the meat cooks faster than the veg usually...dinner can be ready in under 10 minutes. I love it for that reason alone!

Our 5 min salmon & salad & rice that i do I use our grill for the salmon Steaks in under 4 minutes PERFECT

I absolutely love our grill. We use it all the time. We don't even bother putting it away. Just sits on the bench. Cleaning is no problem because we clean it straight away or reheat it for a minute and then clean it. I'm also in love with the roaster. It's awesome too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast