Thread: le chasseur vs le creuset

Question le chasseur vs le creuset

Any thoughts?

The budget is not quite there yet, but when I can buy a french oven which should I go for? Quite a difference in the price.

TIA

And as far as I can tell, there is no difference in quality!

I have a "cheap" le chass and a friend has a le cruset - I am yet to notice that her casseroles taste better than mine

i like le chasseur and find them fine

i have le creusset.. and i love it.

A friend of mine was a chef, and he had both in his kitchen and swears there is no difference, his skillets and dutch ovens would be over 10 yrs old now (the old orangey burnt red colour) and they look as new.

I don't think it REALLY makes a difference. But like anything you'll have people that swear by one and not the other.

Is it true that the Le Creuset has an extra coating of enamel?
    I'm getting one for my birthday and was leaning towards Le creuset for this reason, but I noticed that the Le Chasseur has a maximum heat of 200 compared to 180 for the Creuset (I know it's not that much)

Ok, so I've been having a bit of a look around and according to the Peter's Of Kensington website, the Le Chasseur pots are double enamelled -sp? and the Le Creuet website says they have 2 coatings of enamel as well...so no difference there?

The Le Chaseur has a 10 year warranty - Le Creuset has a lifetime one.

(I've put 2 different sized Le Creuset French Ovens into my Wish List on the Peter's Website for DH and DD to go online shopping for my birthday in a few weeks)

I think I have the post to beat all posts about heat resistance LOL!
    We have a wood-fired oven in our backyard and it gets VERY hot (not sure how hot, but hot enough to cook a pizza in 60 seconds hot). My Le Chassuer went in and out of that oven like Rocky Balboa, complete with music and fists in the air. Well, not quite - the handle shattered but the rest of it is in perfect nick.

But to be honest I wonder whether the Le Cruset handle would have fared any better?

I thought one had an extra layer of enamel, but I have neither, so not sure.

For whichever one you get, I think there is a special enamel cleaner that you can get that is the best stuff to use on them. My Mum has this stuff, no idea what it is (I can find out if you want me to), but it cleans the enamel up like new. Mum has a scavenged pot (think its a creuset?) and it now looks brand new.

if the only difference is the heat ratings, I would go the higher heat over the lower.
    Gotta love a lifetime guarantee though lol

Although I do love LeCreuset!

You know the easiest way to get around it is to just buy one of each!

Has anyone bought (or being given ) a Stanley Rogers or any other brand (like the 'cheaper' ones from Harris Scarfe, forget what they're called) etc?

And if so, are they good?

RoryRory, when you say handle, do you mean the handle on the lid? From what I have been reading, the handle can withstand 180 degrees on the Le Creuset and 200 degrees on the Le Chasseur... I thought the heat ratings related more to the pot.

Netix, I have no idea about the Stanley Rogers. I did notice on the Le Creuset website, you can call them if you need your pot re-enamelled though.
    I was also looking at the Staub French Ovens because their lid handles are metal.

Yeah NIc I meant pot lid And I can pretty well say that the heat ratings are related to the pot lid, not the pot itself (asI said, the pizza oven gets VERY hot and I have slow roasted a leg of lamb in there for ages....