Thread: wooden spoons

Talking wooden spoons

i need more wooden spoons, i prefer them for cooking over plastic, do i need to oil them or anything? any special care required!!

Hi AJP. I also prefer to cook with wooden spoons and have a collection of them. I have never oiled them but read somewhere a while ago that you should replace your wooden spoons regularly because they absorb bacteria - like wooden chopping boards! I don't know what regular means and have had both my chopping boards and spoons for about 4yrs now. Not sure if I should be throwing them out!?!? Interested to hear what others have to say about this.

I don't do anything to mine AJP, except replace them now and then.

thanks chicks!!

jaxi i occasionally pop our wooden board in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Hi AJP. I also prefer to cook with wooden spoons and have a collection of them. I have never oiled them but read somewhere a while ago that you should replace your wooden spoons regularly because they absorb bacteria - like wooden chopping boards! I don't know what regular means and have had both my chopping boards and spoons for about 4yrs now. Not sure if I should be throwing them out!?!? Interested to hear what others have to say about this.
    I thought wood was self cleaning to an extent. Well that is what DH claims he worked in kitchens for many years.