Thread: DAIRY FREE RECIPES - new ideas?

Question DAIRY FREE RECIPES - new ideas?

DD2 has been diagnosed with an Anephelactic Dairy Allergy so i am looking for recipes i can use for her (9mths old) and also that DD1 could enjoy, also for further down the track as 'family meals'

At this stage we have to try her on 'soy formula' to see if she reacts to soy she doesn't but any recipes would be GREATLY appreciated, also any suggested recipe books.

She was also borderline for peanuts & egg so recipes without these aswell would be great but not necessarily a requirement... will treat it as it comes.

go into advanced search on taste and type in dairy free, there are recipes on there

Apart from learning to live without cheese *sob, I'm just adapting recipes using rice/oat milk and Nuttlex Olive Oil spread instead. You can also get 'egg replacer' from Orgran if egg is needed.

haha i was about to post the same as lu! we cook all the time dairy free, i just use oat milk and nuttalex, easy! (though DD can have a small amount of cheese)

Rice milk is a brilliant substitute in sweet recipes. Just using Nuttelex in place of butter. For snacks I do things like pikelets (1 cup SR flour/1egg/1 cup rice milk, mixed together, and cooked in a tiny amount of olive oil), popcorn. I have a few recipes that work for other sweet treats. Oat milk is my preferred milk for drinking (can't have it now though because DS2 is oat intolerant!) but rice milk works really well for cooking.

There are a few good snacks available at the supermarket too, let me know if you want to know our faves

Good luck with the soy. Neither of my DSs can have it, so we're soy free too. It's much easier if you can have some, but I would be wary of using it to replace everything, while it has it's health benefits, it also has problems. Do you think there's any chance they would consider an elemental formula?

Oh, and for down the track, a good treat is plain crisps (most flavoured ones have dairy), or hot chips

ETA I'm with you girls, going without cheese is very hard!!!!

At the moment DD2 is fully BF so thats works in our favour but they want me to try soy formula just to check for a reaction, they did the skin ***** test but they said even though it didn't show it's not always a correct indication.

It's hard with her being 9mths and working out what she can and can't have.. argh.. thanks so much though.

I would have thought you can check for a reaction by eating soy yourself, if she is exclusively BF? Mind you, there is soy in so much that we eat, she is probably been exposed all the time. Has she had troubles with YOU eating dairy? Or has it only been once you've introduced it to HER diet? Is that what they're concerned about with the soy? Do you have to do that challenge soon?

Sorry, I've taken this way off track!

You have my sympathies, it is very hard trying to work out what they can and can't have. In some ways it gets easier, but it's always THERE, you know? I'm going nuts just starting to introduce solids to DS2!

She seems ok with me eating dairy and has only had the reaction upon digesting herself, today she had a reaction just from 'touching' spilt milk so she seems quiet sensitive BUT the Dr said the amount of dairy she would actually get through me is minimal and does nto seem to be affecting her.

His suggestion is to try tiny amount of soy formula rubbed inside her lip, if she tolerates it give her 1ml of formula, the next day 2ml etc and see how she goes.

We go back in 6mths and will be re-tested and then they will decide if they want to do the food challenge, at this stage they didn't want to as the skin p***k test came back qujiet quickly with the milk reaction and she had been admitted to hospital before upon eating yoghurt so they said it was quite clear and they don't want to subject her to the testing just yet, they would prefer we stear clear of dairy products and re-assess.

It is REALLY hard especially as DD1 is one of those rare children that LIKES sharing with her sister so we have to be VERY careful, also with the kids at MG etc.