Thread: Lactose Free Lasagna Recipe help!!!

Default Lactose Free Lasagna Recipe help!!!

I have some friends coming for tea tomorrow night who we havent seen for years. The girl is Lactose intollerant, so i want to cook them tea but want to make a nice dish that is lactose free. I am hoping I can make a lasagna, i will make a normal one for us but a special one for her. I am planning on using zymil milk in the bechamel sauce and hoping my supermarket will have a lactose free cheese option.

Does this sound ok, or am I missing something? Sorry for sounding ignorant

Basically, you just need to eliminate milk, cheese, butter, cream etc (unless they are LF, obviously). I don't know how easy it is to find LF cheese though???

I'm sure she'll appreciate the trouble you're going to , it's lovely of you. You could always make life easier for yourself and make one meal that is LF

Yeah they do have lactose free cheese, but from memory it is expensive.

oh thanks Janie, whoa nearly forgot about the butter.

Check out the vegan alternatives for all of the above, I am pretty sure they will be lactose free.

Thanks Limeslice

use nutalex instead of butter and oat or rice milk instead of milk and leave out the chesse!

If you just have to deal with lactose intolerance (rather than milk protein intolerance) then get the lactose free milk and use butter (which contains almost no lactose) or nuttelex (which is lactose free) - but not other margarines, which do contain lactose.
    "Mature" cheeses (e.g. cheddar) are lactose free, because the bugs have eaten the lactose. There is some lactose in swiss cheese, edam cheese, processed cheese and mozzarella though. Check the label for carbohydrates - if they are listed as less than 0.1 gram in 100 grams then it is likely to be lactose free. There is also lactose free milk available in UHT packs.

If you are dealing with milk protein intolerance then scratch all the above, and go for nuttelex, soy milk or similar and just leave out the cheese altogether.