Thread: Anyone had Lap Band Surgery?

Default Anyone had Lap Band Surgery?

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone out there had had lap band surgery.

I had a baby on Feb 25 and have an appointment for a consultation at the end of May (first available appointment). I would love to hear about any success stories, problems or issues which people have experienced.

ok, i'll start by saying i will probably come across as negative about lap band surgery as i've ONLY known my own parents experiences, both of which have been really bad!

mum had lap band surgery back when i was an early teen - so maybe 15 years ago. she lost heaps of weight, all was going well, but then she started to put on weight big time. she got to be bigger than before. she was eating, and was sick daily. always had heartburn, and masses of pain. fastforward to about 5 years ago, and she was having lots of problems - pain etc all the time. she was getting very large again. turns out the lap band had eaten into her stomach tissue over time, ulcerated it, and she had a hole in her stomach. major life threatening surgery to get it fixed. she had gastric bypass surgery at the same time, and lost masses of weight again. but she was still being sick regularly and had a constant upset stomach. she's now put back all the weight she lost, and then some. there are other health issues at play here, but basically she chose to have surgery when she did, followed the "diet" and eating plan for a short time, then started eating her normal "crap" - it hasn't worked long term

dad had lap band surgery 2 or 3 years ago. lost a heap of weight. was doing pretty well, but not doing what he should food wise. he'd get everything pureed so that he could eat it and not be hungry (defeats the purpose really). he too is constantly sick, and has gotten to the point of eating literally nothing that hasn't been through a fine seive cos he just can't eat it. he now eats a bigger meal than my DH (who is six foot and build like the proverbial outhouse!) - but most of the time it's mashed potato and gravy

i will be the first to admit that the initial results are amazing - but its not a short term thing - it's a long term lifestyle change and you have to be ready to commit to the change in eating for LIFE. it means you have to change everything. you have to have a partner who will support you, who will eat the same thigns you have to eat (in different serving sizes) so that you're not feeling excluded or different. you have to realise that it isn't an easy fix and that you're going to have to do a hell of a lot to make it work long term. i honestly don't like the idea of the surgery. i'm a bigger person. i'm the first to admit it. and it's been suggested by my old's more than once that i might benefit from it. but my thought process is along the lines of "if i don't have the control to do the right thing all the time now, how can i expect to do it when it's critical long term after surgery?"

i'm not trying to say you're like this, so PLEASE don't take offence at anything i've said. i know there are lots of success stories out there, and i'm sure if you have the right motivation it can work - i'm just yet to see an honest success that has lasted. lots of quick fixes, but the long term lifestyle changes that are needed to make it work just haven't happened in the cases i've seen...

Thanks for the story Briggsy. I don't take offence at anything you have said at all. I need to see the downside as well as the up as all you ever seem to hear are the success stories.
    I understand it's a long term thing, and I have also heard about some people who do really well initially and then old habits kick back in and they go back to the way they were before.
    My husband is firmly behind me and we are going to use my change in diet and smaller portion sizes to help him to lose weight as well. I have a lot of weight to lose and I have tried the conventional programs, all with varying degrees of success. I think the lap band will help me to control a few of my problems, but ultimately I know that it is just a tool and it is only as good as I let it.
    I hope your parents do OK in the future as I am well aware of all of the health issues that go along with being overweight.
    THanks again.

OK I've got both good and bad stories. Bad story first, My mum had a lap band and it strangled her osephagus and she ended up in intensive care with an anethetist and ICU doctors sitting by her bed for two days to keep her alive as her internal organs began to shut down and fail. This can happen to anyone.
    Good stories - Mum has had another one put in and is doing well. Going really slowly and is getting slow success. Two women at work have had it done and one is achieving great weight loss while the other isn't as she is not doing it correctly.
    From what I understand is it is a great support if you change your lifestyle, exercise habits and diet incongunction with the lap band and not use the lap band as an easy out.
    I would look into it really carefully and way up the impacts on your life and make sure that you are happy to make all the changes that you need to with the lap band because it really does affect your diet.
    Good luck with your decision.

glad you didn't take offence hun - it's certainly not what i intended

one thing i'd think, if you have 8 weeks or whatver til your appointment, try to implement the post surgery things now - cut back on portion sizes and stick to it. add more exercise gradually. build it up - the last thing you want is to find that you're about to have surgery and no idea what to do afterwards.

my parents are both extremely unwell people - through their own lifestyle choices. maybe i should feel more compassion, but i can't. they've tried to take the easy road as they've seen it, failed miserably, and expect us to feel sorry for them. mum is grossly obese, has just been advised she has SIX hernia's, requires surgery (though she only has a 40% chance of surviving a general). there are so many ways in which she shoudl take responsibility for this but won't, and a lot of it comes down to the surgeries, the fact her body doesn't function as normal, and she doesn't account for that in her lifestyle (extra nutrients etc). i no longer feel any responsibility to help her if she won't help herself - i just pity her what she's throwing away... again, i'm not saying this is normal, but it is something to be very aware of. if you don't maintain the lifestyle that you need, you do risk long term complications so go into it with eyes wide open...

Hi All,

I don't have first hand experience, but have seen a few people around me go thru it.

A very close friend of mine had it done. She looks beyond unbelievable, down from around 90kg to 56-58kg and now size 8. She did as she was told and exercised a lot. She is not having any problem with any food. She has to chew very carefully but is able to down anything....I know this is not the circumstance for a lot of 'banders'.

Another woman I know had it done and didnt lose too much weight till her band was tightened. She threw up a lot later. Basically her body got used to it and couldnt keep down food. Thankfully that got it all adjusted and has also lost around 30-35kg.

Then I met someone in LA last week. I last saw him when he was huge. He had gastric bypass surgery - this is much more prominent in the states then here. Yes it's bigger surgery and more dangerous, but he did explain that long term it has far less risks. He did go into explanation but I wont go into that now. What I can say is WOW - he looks incredible. He can eat anything at all - but small portions...and doesnt have the constant throwing up problem - unless he over eats. With banding I believe just not chewing properly (think about when we are starving) can make the food get stuck so you either throw it up naturally or have to make yourself throw up because its causing so much pain being stuck ontop of the band.

Me - well I am lucky to have seen great results with it. I say go girl. Just remember...its not a magic cure - there is still work and will-power involved...

Please keep me posted - would love to know how your are doing...

Thanks for all of the stories guys. I know that it is just a tool and that I have to make some serious changes to my lifestyle. I want to lose about 70kg and I think this is the only way I am going to lose such a major amount of weight.
    I have had the OK from my Ob to start exercising again after my c section almost 7 weeks ago, so tomorrow I am going to start slowly with some laps in the pool. I am excited actually, whichis a bit scary. Excited about exercise? It is something that I want to make part of an exercise regime along with aqua aerobics which I can keep doing after I have the surgery.
    I got the information pack today along with a letter from my private health insurer saying that they are going to give us some money. FUnnily enough the amount they are giving us is almost the same amount as the surgery, so I take it as a sign!

Go for it Kirsten...I am sure you will do brilliantly...

Well here is the latest. My procedure is booked for June 16, just 3 weeks away! I am really excited as I am confident that this is the one that will work for me. (It has to. It's my last resort!)
    I see the dietician tomorrow and I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I am quite prepared for the drastic changes to my life afterwards, but the benefit of seeing my children grow up outweighs everything.
    I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

Good luck with everything.. My DF had the Lap Band surgery and he swears that it's one of the best things in his life he's done.

I'll be following your journey if you keep me informed on how everything goes

If you don't mind me asking Liz, how much has he lost and how long ago did he have it? Does he find it hard sticking to the diet and the restrictions? Does he have any side affects? I'd love to hear about it!
    Thanks.

my mate went and had the lapband done . he went from 215 kgs down to 85kgs in about 15 months . he found it very hard . also had different medical problems. now he is a new happy man. best of luck , let us all know how u r going .

Hi, I just read your post. I had DS last March and was banded on October 31st, Halloween no less. So far I have lost 18 kg and am now pregnant again with number two, a welcome side effect to the band.

The band has its pluses and minuses. Many people do a pre-op diet to help reduce liver inflammation for 2 or 3 weeks before hand. Once your banded there is a period of rapid weight loss as you can only have fluids for a while and then your move onto soft foods. At first you will literally be only able to have a 100 ml of fluid or so but you feel full and never get hungry during this period. I had 4 ml of fluid put in in January but had to have it taken out due to morning sickness (vomiting is not wanted with a band due to the potential for slippage).

For me the band has been great in helping with portion size but I can no longer eat red meat, some breads and most pastas. Not being able to eat these foods has been the hardest part as they have been such a regular part of my diet for so long. It is a long journey having supportive people around you really does help. Exercise is something you really need to do to get the most benefit but I found losing weight has really motivated me to want to do more activity. Having an active one year old also helps.

If you have any questions or just want to chat feel free to PM me. Wishing you all the best on your band journey.

Default Lap Band and Pregnancy

Hi Macca

I have an 8 month old baby girl and would like to have more children but at the same time i would like to be thin. I am wondering, did you have your lap band before your kids and if so how did it affect you.....would you recommend getting it even if i am planning on falling pregnant?

A good friend of mine had this done last year, has lost around 40kg, exercises heaps and has the fitness level of an elite athlete.

I think she can eat almost anything except for really tough to digest stuff like steak. She followed the instructions to the letter in terms of chewing, not drinking anything with meals. She knows someone else who didn't follow the instructions and who hasn't lost any weight.

It was another BB member called Sushee's posts that opened my eyes to the benefits of lap band surgery - the fact that some people just don't feel full so find it very hard to lose weight. You might want to have a look for those - I think you'd find them really informative.

Another question for those who have lost weight using the lap band. How much did you lose? What is the excess skin like?