Thread: cal/kj control while breastfeeding?

jgirlplus2 Guest

Default cal/kj control while breastfeeding?

I'm still about 10kilos above my normal weight, since having my baby almost 2 years ago! This last 10 won't budge in spite of exercising, eating right (I do have a major case of munchies though which I put down to breastfeeding)! Can anyone tell me if it's ok to limit kj intake while breastfeeding, and what would be the limit? I intend to continue bfing my babe and don't want to compromise that, but I so want to get rid of at least a few more kilos!

I did a bit of research into this when I decided to try to shift some weight when DS was a few months old. Generally around 1800-2000cal per day is recommended while breastfeeding.

Initially I stuck to this but the weight wasn't coming off - so I cut down to about 1500 I think and the weight then started to shift. It didn't affect my milk supply but I was watching it very carefully and I had I thought it was I would have stopped immediately.

As soon as I'd lost the few kilos I wanted to I went back to regular eating and I haven't put the weight back on - I think I'll have to be careful once DS weans though.

As long as you're sensible about it and lose the weight gradually you shouldn't have a problem. It's only if you go on a crash diet and drastically cut your kj's and lose a heap of weight quickly that you'd risk supply issues.

Hi. My sister does weight watchers and she is breastfeeding. She said its great.

I've just started Weight Watchers and they have a Breastfeeding plan. You get about 30 points a day which is heaps, I often can't eat that much.

Spring