Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curves Gym

I considered joining a gym but let the idea go because like other members have said: walking is more interesting and cheaper and I don't have the support network to arrange childcare... plus i like to actually exercise with my kids.

I walk 3km every school day x 2 so that's 6km per day (it's 1.5 km one way) ... my 5yo flies ahead on his scooter... I push a pram... it's hilly and I get my heart pumping up to 180bpm. I figure I'm not only saving a fortune in gym fees i am also saving on petrol and wear and tear on the car! This will stay as my main source of exercise for a few years to come. When I don't need to do the school run I may consider joining a gym for the discipline of it.

I am actually very confused to how people think that asking for childcare (a separate room for kids) equate to children running about the equipment? I have never been to a gym where this was allowed, so why is it when it comes to Curves that people jump to the conclusion that is what mothers are expecting when they ask about some sort of child minding facilites.

Just asking as I have come across this in real life and on other forums when I was looking into Curves.

Are you a person who gets bored easily?? Do you need motivation and variety? If so DO NOT JOIN CURVES!!
    I joined curves and was a real sucker as I paid $99 joining fee. But the 30 min workouts appealed to the lazy side of me.
    After about 3 months I was really over it. It was so tedious and the hours of my local one were just ridiculous. 6.30am - 11.00am then 1.00pm -7.00pm. Then they went and changed the afternoon hours 3.00pm -7.00pm.
    Not very practical when you have 4 children and I tried to argue this when I went to cancel my membership but to no avail. I had to pay $50 cancellation fee and another months fees.
    I have since joined my local gym at $17 per week (curves was $15) which has a creche , includes the full use of all facilities, all aerobic classes, heated pool next door, aqua classes and assessment done every 6 weeks. It was only $1 to join and I got 3 free personal training sessions. Plus I am only locked to a 6 month contract.
    Seriously look around as I really believe yo will find alot better value for your buck out there.

I looked at curves as they had a promotion going and I don't get bored easily so was really looking forward to the "woman and mother focused gym" as the person I was talking to on the phone told me - until I asked about childcare and was told no children. The woman went on about how my husband should be able to give me 30 min 3 times a week to myself blah blah blah but hubby works shift work and so no he isn't able to give me 30 min plus the time to drive there and back 3 times a week - I was really disappointed.

That also really annoys me that people assume that arranging childcare should be a breeze it's so NOT!!! From my experience it's usually childless people who say that kind of thing... implying that you need to try harder pfft!

TBH Bath - the phone call ended up with me in tears as the woman just kept insisting that I MUST have someone who can watch them for 30 min to which I ended up blubbering about my son having autism and no I can't just leave him with whoever and we don't have family here and I'm sorry but my firends who would probably offer have their own kids and their own families to care for.

Saram I felt the same way when I first dealt with Curves back in Melbourne. The new manager of the one day here actually seemed quite upset that they were unable to provide childcare.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12