Thread: Gastric Sleeve

Default Gastric Sleeve

Has anyone had this operation/getting this operation?

I saw the surgeon about a month ago. I went in for a lapband, but I had googled him beforehand, and read a bit about the gastric sleeve. Apparently these days, 10 sleeves are done per 1 band, as they're thought to be a more viable option for the long term.

Gastric sleeve is pretty much cutting your stomach in half. It's done laparascopically, two lines of staples are made at roughly the middle of the stomach, and everything after the staples is removed. Definitely more involved than a lap band, but not as involved as a gastric bypass.

It's preferred as the food choices afterwards are not as limiting. With a band, its recommended never to eat steak or bread again, among other things. With the sleeve, you can eat anything you want, but you have a severely reduced capacity. The past of the stomach that is removed is also responsible for the production of 'hungry hormones', so your appetite is automatically supressed.

After the surgery, you have to be in hospital for at least 4 days, so they can monitor the staple line and ensure there is no leakage of stomach acid. All going well you're out in 4 days, on liquids for another 2 weeks or so, and then back to normal.

Weight loss is more than the band, with an average 75-80% loss in the first 12 months.

I need to wait for my hospital cover to come through, so my op won't be for another year. Anyone else looking at it?

i don't know how similar this is to the old style stomach stapling so i'll preface this by saying what mum had was stapling. i really don't know if they removed any of her stomache or not (i think they did but i don't know). as i've mentioned in other threads, she didnt stick to eating recommendations or make the right lifestyle changes (like increased exercise etc) so she is a failed staple/lapband/bypass (yes, all of them) person

the things i've observed - no matter what you do, you have to make the changes. from what i can gather from mum - the stapling worked fantastically at the start. she lots heaps. she was doing really well, but started to relax her eating habits. the stomach material will still stretch and it eventually stretched to being similar capacity to pre surgery. it took a while, but she just kept increasing portion sizes. the banding doesn't allow this to happen so much (unless you're like my dad and eat mash potato and gravy that is pureed so that it slips through - sigh, my folks are shockingly BAD examples of trying to take the easy way out)

i guess the thing to keep in mind is finding out how reversible the surgery is if something goes wrong. mum ended up nearly dying from her staples coming adrift and having holes in her stomach. yes, it was her own fault, but i have heard it may increase the chances of ulceration at the surgical point. as much as the band isn't perfect, if it's really not working, it can be opened up completely with no need for surgical reversal kwim?

sorry, not trying to talk you out of anything just speaking from what happened with my olds. they really aren't good examples of what SHOULD happen. they are worst case scenario. they chose these options as the easy way out. Sushee did it the way it should be - she has used it as a stepping board to boost the efforts she was already making (and she looks damn fine as a result)

whatever you decide to do, i hope it all works for you! good luck - it's a big decision to make

Oh for sure BG - the surgeon said to me that it was only a stepping board. He said that your body adjusts to being a certain size, so once its adjusted it's almost impossible to lose weight and keep it off. The surgery is the best answer, because you lose so much in a short space of time that the body has no choice but to adjust to the new weight, which makes it easier to continue to lose. At the moment, I find it very difficult to do any substantial amount of exercise, because I'm carrying so much excess weight. My body aches ALL the time, just from normal activity. If you had asked me even just 5 years ago if I would consider weight loss surgery I would've said a definite NO, but these days its different.

WRT sleeve v band, the surgeon explained both to me, and then asked my preference. When I said I preferred the sleeve, he was relieved, because the band won't actually do enough for me. I currently weigh 140kg, and my healthy weight is 65kg - the band won't get me even close to that, it'd probably get me to 110kg. I know the sleeve won't get me all the way, but it'll get me to a point where I am actually capable of doing the exercise required to take it home yknow?

My mum has also found a way around her band. It scares me, because I don't feel like I'm dependant on food, but neither did she until she got the band. I think I'll get DH to take a full body pic of me before the surgery, so I can keep it on the fridge as a reminder of what I never want to be again

sounds like a good idea. i guess having seen your mum's "fail" you'll know what to avoid

I know someone who has had big weight loss with the gastric band and kept it off long term, although she constantly has to work at it. She went from approx 165kg to 80kg, and stays between 80 and 85kg now. She has about 10kg of excess skin, but due to other issues having the skin removed probably won't happen. The gastric sleeve sounds bit too scary for me.

That's exactly what I thought Kate, also felt a bit too permanent - I liked the flexibility with the band, that it could be adjusted or removed fairly easily. But the surgeon explained that they're learning more things about the band now, and they tend to only have a 10-15 year life span - not the band itself, rather the stomach underneath the band deteriorates to the point where the band slips, and then has to be removed and can't be replaced. That's why more sleeves are being performed these days.

Although, it hasn't been around for 10 years, so the long term side effects are as yet unknown. I think the main reason for my decision was seeing Mum's failure - if I were to lose that much weight, only to gain it back....well, I really don't know what I'd do y'know?

is getting the band an option and then, if things start going amiss in however many years with the band, looking at the sleeve then? not trying to discourage you at all, i guess i'm looking at the longer term thing. if you got the band and had 10 years of success (and the resultant lifestyle changes were implemented and kept up), you would have another 10 years of "evidence" of the longer term impacts of the sleeve?

again, not trying to discourage you, just bouncing ideas around. i guess i personally would be very concerned about doing anything that is irreversible.

They have learnt alot about how eating with the band can lead to good results. Some of the very first people to go through sort of went into starvation mode (their bodies did), which then lead to weight gain again when they tried to normalise their eating. There is a book written by a dietician on living with a gastric band, and she also does presentations (in Melbourne anyway). I don't know all of it, but one thing was to do with the way you chew your food. By adapting chewing technique, the stomach registers the food earlier and so you feel full earlier. This can reduce any discomfort from overfilling the tummy but also allows the person to eat a wider variety of things which gives the body the nutrients it needs and avoids snacking on unhealthy foods through boredom in the diet.

Can you get a second opinion? Just keep getting as much info on your options so you are really comfortable with the decision that you do make.

Sorry, my very profound and thoughtful reply is obviously floating around somewhere in the ether, I'm sure I posted days ago!

That's not a bad idea BG, getting the band first and then progressing. The only thing is, the surgeon I've seen, who is the best in WA, refuses to do the sleeve on anyone who has previously had the band, not sure why. There are a couple of other surgeons in Perth who do the sleeve, but their success rates aren't as high. I'll have to make another appointment and ask why he wouldn't do it for someone who has been banded.

Do you know the name of that book Kate? I know we're recommended to chew slowly and at least 30 times, and drink water between mouthfuls, just wondering if the 'chewing technique' is something other than those? Will definitely be getting a second opinion, I've got 12 months to wait for either procedure anyway, so its a great time to talk to other surgeons and try other methods, and only use the surgery as a last resort. One of the main reasons I originally went for the appointment was because they do a full panel of tests before the surgery, to make sure there's not another cause for the excess weight - I wanted the tests, but the GP wouldn't order them for me. Doncha know, everything, even the common cold, is caused by being overweight these days!