Thread: Gym Beginners, where to start?

Default Gym Beginners, where to start?

So in all my genius-ness, yesterday I saw a bargain and jumped on it.

12 casual visits for $12.
    I bought one for me and DH.

But neither of us have ever been before, aren't thrilled about going alone, and embarrassed by how unfit we are...

But we are motivated so where do we start when we go??? Any help, CQ, Leesa???

I am going to have go and buy some clothes to wear too

Tut Tut - don't feel embarrassed - a journey of 1000 miles starts with one step (or something like that ).

You'll just need to wear loose, light weight clothing and some decent runners (or x trainers). Shoes can be important as they are the base for everything else you'll do. But I'm not suggesting you both run out (pardon the pun ) and buy new sneakers. Take a hand towel and some water (room temp is best absorbed when working out).

Depends on what you'd like to achieve. I'd suggest you can't go wrong with some time on a treadmill, stationary bike, cross trainer or rower - or any of that kind of equipment in the cardio area. If you feel that is mundane for your liking, then read on.....

If neither of you have done any weight work before I'd suggest seeing if you could hire a personal trainer for a session or two to 'show you the ropes' - most shouldn't have a problem doubling up for a 'show and tell' session like this; but some may. Just depends on the gym and their policies. If you want some MORE excitement, read on....

Try a class! Not having any idea what sort of classes there are at this gym, you'd want to maybe try something like a fat burner class, or even a Body Pump class if that is offered. If in doubt I'm sure the person on the front desk would be able to help pick a class for the entry level client.

If you're both keen and raring to go try and start with 3 x 1hr sessions, then see how you fare before upping the ante.

Any more questions - throw them at me! I'm more than happy to help .

Well I am definitely interested in classes. They have attack, combat, pump, spin, rpm, zumba, yoga and pilates.
    I have already forgotten what the differences are but i am interested in zumba- I just dont want to overdo it to start with so I guess I am looking for what is beginner-ish.

We have a cross trainer at home but we hardly ever use it so this will be good to hopefully get us to use it more! We are going for a tour tomorrow night so hopefully i will have more questions then.

Your FB thingy couldnt have come at a better time for me!

oh oh, your on FCS!! Awesome....welcome aboard!!! You'll be racking up the km's in no time!

Zumba is apparently great for beginners, and honestly RPM (similar to spin) is a class you can tailor to your fitness levels too. Attack can be done at low impact levels thru out the entire class, but I'd recommend to give the instructor a heads up prior to the class just so they know to give you the low impact options (which they should anyway, but some skimp on those additional instructions).

Congratulations on your purchase! where do you start? By walking in the door!

Seriously, where you start depends on your goals, like Leesa said. The cardio equipment might be a good spot to start whilst you get used to the environment. Or a class if your pass allows. Don't be frightened of your beginner status!

Just make sure you warm up and cool down sufficiently, and don't forget to stretch!!!!!

I strongly advise against weights unless you are taught the CORRECT technique. If you want to have a go at something - grab one of the instructors on the floor and get them to teach you! Or see if your pass will include some sort of instruction session.

Having a training partner really helps! You and your DH will love it! I used to go with my DH 6 days a week! These days our work life interfers - I do shift work and he works long hours!

I hope you enjoy it and keep it up! And so glad you're taking part in Around The World!

Guess, what?

I turned those 12 visits into a 12 months membership!!

I am so excited, and proud of myself! DH is a little tentative, and worried as it's a lot of money if we don't commit.

So now I really need a kick up the bum!

I have a P/T session, basic intro to equip etc on Wednesday morning, and DH has one Thu night. I don't know how we will fit it in around work but our plans is to roster it in. Good luck to us I guess!

Leesa I got told today the RPM class would be no good! I am actually worried that my addictive personality will turn me a gym junkie LOL!

So my contribution to today in ATW is zilch, but I bought a gym membership so I guess it's a bit of dedication :P

Congratulations DC! Well done!

Rostering it in to your daily life i a great way to go! At times I struggle with shift work and family life - but knowing it is in my diary the same way as a meeting or dr appointment, helps me keep it! These days, DH and I have it in both our diaries to help maximise my opportunities!

Don't stress about not contributing to ATW today - there is always tomorrow! Grab your runners, gym towel, and water bottle and get active!!! The more you move, the more you'll lose!

Goodluck dragoncookie! I too signed up on the weekend for a 14day pass and went to a pump class today...it was fantastic! I can't wait to try zumba on Wednesday, I am a little nervous as I am unco-ordinated but could be good for a laugh...for the rest of the class anyway

I would be keen to know how you go with any classes you try out as I am a bit nervous to give any of the harder classes a go as I am super unfit

Good on you for commiting and signing up for 12 months I hope you enjoy your workouts!

Well done DC on signing up! I am nowhere near a gym anymore, since moving to the country and I miss it.

I am in no way co-ordinated and cannot manage attack, zumba or even step classes... pump and RPM though, I LOVE! with quick results, they give you weights and cardio and a little more uni-sex so you can do them with DH if you wanted.

Great idea getting a trainer to show you the ropes, I had a PT when I needed a kick up the butt even though a knew what I was doing , just seeing her once a week she managed to change my whole body shape in under 8 weeks.

Goodluck!