Thread: Has anyone successfully stuck with a gym membership?

Default Has anyone successfully stuck with a gym membership?

I called my Mum yesterday and told her I had joined the gym, which I am going to stick with despite finding out I'm pregnant (meaning I can't take advantage of those beautiful steam rooms and saunas that I was so looking forward to ). She was so negative about it, saying that she has never known a single person to stick with their gym membership and everyone she knows has lost money on it.

Can anyone give me good stories about being a gym member? I don't want to be yet another one who goes for a month then gives up and wastes all that money. Fortunately this one is not that expensive, only about $35/month.

Please tell me some people other than die hard fanatics stick with it!

I did for a long time, about 2 years - but that was before I was married or had children!

Prior to falling pregnant I went to the gym 4 - 5 times a week for a good 2 or so years. I started back up in November last year and I'm still going strong. Yea its only been 3 months lol but I am finding it easier this time to fit it in (surprisingly) probably because my gym has a creche. I love going, it gives me a good hour of 'me' time and I feel better for it.

My mum has had her gym membership for 9 months now... so people do stick to it I assure you! Does your gym have aqua classes? You can take them when you're pregnant as well, they just modify moves for you. Its lovely to be in the pool when you're pregnant and good for you too!

Yep, like Willow it was pre babies, though I was married. I was also working full time and studing part time. I love going to the gym, it makes me feel so much more energetic and better about myself.

I used to be a twice a day gym junkie for a year until I moved away from the gym and it got too hard to get there each day. When we had a gym down the road, I didn't use my membership because the hours didn't end up suiting DH & I (we usually go to the gym together to egg each other on) as he changed jobs.

We're gradually getting gym equipment for home, so we can work out together, also once he is back from Sydney permanently we'll go riding every day or so (his bike is down there so he can get around)

Well that is encouraging, at least some people do! Thanks. This gym doesn't have a pool, just an equipment room with all the treadmills, weights etc, and also aerobics classes.

I joined up with a neighbour so hopefully we'll keep each other motivated.

Yes!! My first gym membership ended in disaster - I moved and payed for three months I did not use. But I am currently on my seconde yearly contract and are LOVING it. The thing is you HAVE to stick it out. When I first started, after about two weeks of going, I was sick of it. I was sore and stiff and the only class I could attend was early (5am), BUT after that I started seeing results. Thinner waist, tighter abs and EVEN some biceps!!
    Currently I gym with a girl that is expecting her second child the 3rd of March. We have loads of laughs with her when doing squats. But she comes everyday and when she is not up to classes, she walks on the treadmill and do some leg and arm weights. I personally went to the gym till I was 7 months pg.
    Yes, you are going to be tired and after bubba is born you are going to be a little busy, but ask if they can extend your contract. It sounds like it's a smaller gym, so if you explain that you are pg, maybe they will let you have three months "maternity" leave That way you won't pay for months you are unable to go.

Post miscarriage but pre-Olivia I bought a six month membership and used it every day............teh only reason I didn't renew was that we were moving to Darwin.......

I have been going to my gym since August. Love it, although I don't go every day (I just don't have the energy levels to be able to work out that hard - medical problems). I load my nano with funky music that gets me going on the treadmill and I just keep going.
    If you work it out, your gym membership is only a few takeaway coffees per week. Just remember to eat correctly and drink plenty of water and you will keep it up.. just think how much easier things get when your fit!!

Yep, another gym junkie here, well used to be. I stuck to my membership, going 5 times a week. Even when I moved away from it I was naughty & would drive my car there in the morn, catch my old bus to work then go to the gym after work & drive home.........needless to say I never had a prob getting a park LOL.

I stuck out my gym membership for 2 years... On average over that time I would attend 4 days per week. I joined to shed the post baby kilos, and it really did work.... I loved it!
    I have taken 6 months leave on my membership over this pregnancy though, being that I am just too physically exhausted to work out properly, and am doing heaps of walking as it is (which is really all I need)... but I tell you I am SO excited at the thought of going back to gym after this bubba!

Yep, a lot of people use their memberships well. I've been going consistently for 2.5 years and plan to do so for the rest of my life (health and finance permitting!). You do need to make the effort to go. Plan when you are able to go and write it in your diary! Many classes can be adapted for pregnant women, so chat to the instructor or class coordinator and ask about what classes you can do. They are lots of fun!

I paid for a year of gym membership and never used it lol. But in my defence, it was REALLY hard to get to and there were other factors that came into it.

I think the best thing you can do is try it out before buying a long membership. I'm going to join the local leasure centre tomorrow (half the price of a gym!) for a month to see if I can actually go, before buying a year long membership sorta thing.

The truth is, it's totally up to you whether you go or not. I've heard that something like 95% stop using their memberships (I imagine this is year long memberships) but that doesn't mean you have to be part of that percentage. I imagine the same number of people who stop using gyms also drop out of diets, which kind of puts it in perspective. Again, you don't have to be one of those people!