thread: Kicking the sugar habit!

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

Kicking the sugar habit!

I've just ordered myself a copy of David Gillespie's Sweet Poison: Why sugar makes us fat, and, Sweet Poison Quit Plan.

I was talking to another mum at childcare this morning after one of the carers commented on how happy her little ones have been the last few days.

Her answer: she's cut out sugar in her children's diets. She originally bought the books for herself but was horrified to find how much sugar she was feeding her kids - sultanas, too much fruit, honey on weetbix .... things that I also assumed were "healthy".

Anyway, I know I have been taking the easy way out with snacks and it's starting to show in my little one's behaviour.

I've just made myself my first cup of coffee without sugar and.... well, it's not too bad!

May 2007

we have low sugar here as well.
    Might be worth even reading into the fail safe diet and the salicylates - which is a naturally occuring chemical in many foods - especially fruits!
    we began cutting these out of the kids diets and a huge difference is found in behaviour and sleep!

Feb 2008

I have been practically sugar free for a while now. The book was an awesome inspiration and was invaluable for opening up my eyes to the incidental sugar I fed my kids.

Good for you, I hope you enjoy your sugar free journey!

Nov 2010

Not sure if it's worth mentioning or not, But you could also look up diabetes suitable recipes, I have gestational diabetes and DH and I have been trying different ones. It also means you are not having excessive carbs that turn into sugars too.

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

Not sure if it's worth mentioning or not, But you could also look up diabetes suitable recipes, I have gestational diabetes and DH and I have been trying different ones. It also means you are not having excessive carbs that turn into sugars too.
    I will definitely do this!

My success over the weekend:

Our usual saturday morning treat is morning tea at the cafe before running errands. I didn't add sugar to my cappucino and was surprised to realise that I actually prefer it this way. I also ordered vegemite toast rather than cinnamon toast (oh, dear... now wonder I was gaining weight!!). DS2 stole my toast - he liked the "jam".

I gave our LO plain weetbix and he gobbled them up. When he asked for sauce at dinner to "dip dip" his sausages into, I just said, "no sauce. Yum!!" And he ate them!!

17yo DS1 went on an overnight camp and, when offered jam donuts for morning tea he reached for a banana instead....what a boy!!!!

I traded my beloved Vaalia vanilla yoghurt for natural yogurt with half a small banana chopped up.

The most impressive thing though is that I've ignored my leftover dark chocolate easter egg sitting in the pantry.

Little steps.... but I'm proud of us!

Jun 2009
    in the Capital

we have low sugar here as well.
    Might be worth even reading into the fail safe diet and the salicylates - which is a naturally occuring chemical in many foods - especially fruits!
    we began cutting these out of the kids diets and a huge difference is found in behaviour and sleep!
    I have noticed that our LO is easier to settle for his midday naps.

Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

We've had no sugar for 7 days now.... I did actually have a tbsp of honey over the past 24 hours due to a sinus infection and I use honey, ginger and apple cider vinegar to help alleviate symptoms, but other than that it's been 7 days here.

We used to be a very low sugar family, my DD1 didn't have sugar until she was 2 years old but life has gotten out of hand and things have gotten harder. We are now trying to get our kids to kick that package habit as even though we get them at the health food isle, there is always something hidden in them.... so we are also replacing things they love with healthier options. I noticed last night as I was sick and just wanted soup for tea that my little ones who usually refuse anything except broth and noodles in their "sick soup" asked for a carrot each as well... I was proud of them for adding something healthy into the mix....

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

We're doing the same here too, fell off the bandwagon for a bit! But my seminar has put me back on track. Sugar = acid and many diseases thrive in an acidic environment, like cancer. Its one of the best things you can get rid of - and artificial sweeteners are even worse so don't pick up a pack of those either!!! All the best - and if you're really keen about finding out the truth about sugar and want to kick it, read about the alkaline diet too. Loads of info online!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Nov 2010

It's amazing the difference isn't it. My Dh is fully on board of this too and he actually requests or makes sugar free options now. He has started to drop weight and at 8 months pg I am even getting compliments how good I look. So glad it is all going well for you.