Thread: over it

Default over it

i have been on betty baxter for 22 weeks and have only lost 6.4kg! i started on the last phase cause of breastfeeding but i would have thought i would have lost more than that. admittedly i havent stuck to it every step of the way. but i am just sick of weighing in and buying those gross shakes!

Jenstar Guest

This obviously isn't working for you and you are wasting your money. Have you tried Tony Ferguson?

I've never heard of betty baxter to be honest.
    Maybe a different program would be better for you, the same thing doesnt always suit everyone.

I just did a quick Google on Betty Baxter........I think I have seen it in a pharmacy at our local Westfield.

2 shakes a day then a healthy dinner?

When you say you haven't stuck to it, what do you mean? Huge blowouts, or just tailoring it a bit?

Its tricky. I am doing Kate Morgan (nearly exactly the same as Betty Baxter from the look of it.) I am tempted daily to "adjust" their prescribed food choices. BUT, for me, if I take a inch, tomorrow I will cheat by a mile, LOL!

Are you on a contract? Can you just change to something else?

Are you still really motivated?

I googled it too its looks similar to TF.
    Are you allowed to have dairy on it? TF doesnt allow any dairy other than philly, ricotta (this counts a s protein though) and whats in the shake formula.

Two ways to look at it :

Positive - It is slow - only quarter of a kilo a week but at least it is a loss, not a gain. General weightloss guidelines recommend .5kg a week which you might have achieved if you had stuck to it totally.

Negative - it really isn't much of a life though - gross shakes and the expense. Just the wording you use (gross shakes) makes me wonder why you are doing it. It doesn't retrain your eating and so when you have lost all your weight, what then? You go back to doing what you did before and gai it all back? I don't think so. And are those shakes really nutritious enough to feed you and your baby?

My 10 cent opinion - get off the diet-go-round. Start to eat real whole food - fruit, veggies, lean meat and fish. Cut down on processed foods and foods high in saturated fats and sugars.
    Start to move and exercise to boost your metabolism. Just put on your fave music and dance or get that stroller out and work up a sweat. If you need to tone up as well, take a look at callanetics as it is the fastest toning exercises I have ever found and as a result I became a callanetics teacher. Read some inspirational books auch as 'The clothesline diet'.
    You only live once (well, you are only going to live this life once if you believe in re-incarnation - your other lives will be just that - another life in another body) so enjoy the time you spend here. Don't spend it being unhappy and living on shakes when you could be living on real, whole, health food Mother Nature provided for us.

yeah well i was on the jump phase which is 1 shake a day and a little bit extra food than the other steps cause of my breastfeeding. i go to the gym at least twice a week for an hour class and sometimes i get there a third time. while i was happy about the loss when i look back at how much time and money i have spent doing this it just seems like a tad of a waste... and yeah at least i have lost a bit. i think though that i am gonna ditch it and just try and eat a little better.
    thanks everyone.
    i think i am also a little fragile, cause about 3 of my mummy friends have dropped a lot of weight really easily without even trying, yet i have been slaving away since last august and getting hardly anywhere. it just doesnt seem fair.
    i will just stick at it though, i guess thats all i can do. (well without betty baxter)

paradise lost Guest

i think i am also a little fragile, cause about 3 of my mummy friends have dropped a lot of weight really easily without even trying, yet i have been slaving away since last august and getting hardly anywhere. it just doesnt seem fair.
    Aw hun you're right, it isn't fair. BUt look at it like this - if you were living in the circumstances the human body is designed for (lean times, hunting/gathering, MAYBE subsistance farming) your mummy friends would be the ones in serious malnutrition and struggling. A body like ours (mine also, thyroid issues/treatment aside, gains fat more readily than it relinquishes it) might be irritating in times of plenty but it is brilliant protection from the effects of famine and want. This sounds kind of rubbish compensation i know, but something i once heard stikes me when i feel irritated by it.

If you have a body like ours and you are at the top of the healthy weight range and you gain 6kg, it is annoying and you feel (or at least i feel) frumpy and irritated by it but in terms of health it doesn't lead to anything, i mean that sort of excess isn't morbid obesity, and it doesn't lead to any huge negative effects. BUT if you begin at the lowest end of the healthy scale and LOSE 6kg you'll lose your fertility, your bone density, your hair, your muscle tone (including that of your heart muscle), and so much more the list is endless...

For me, if i was BMI 25 and gained 6kg i'd be BMI 26.9, a little overweight, but if i was BMI 18.5 and i lost 6kg i'd be BMI 16.6! Pretty scary low and associated with SO many medical issues!

So while it is annoying sometimes for me to watch someone eat 4000 calories and know they'll do no exercise and still gain nothing, i just think, with my body i can skip a meal, run a bit farther, eat only grapes for a day, if the mood takes me and all will be well, whereas those people who are "lucky" enough to be naturally very thin actually have a far narrower margin of health to work with.

I think that eating well and enjoying life NOW, TODAY is the most important thing. No more torturing yourself or your body with gross shakes, no more waiting for a thinner future before doing what you want to do. Carpe diem - sieze the day. Best of luck hun.

Bx