Thread: Baby clothes and the dryer

Default Baby clothes and the dryer

Hi lovelies,

Just wondering if using the clothes dryer to dry baby's clothes is really bad? Does it shrink them dramatically?

I find that when I hang clothes outside (or even inside on the clothes horse) they get a little stiff, and I love the soft feeling that clothes have when they come out of the dryer.

I'm planning on washing our first load of the baby's clothes today so that I can put some in our hospital bag So exciting! Oh, I guess while I'm asking questions... Should I wash all the white baby clothes separate to the colored baby clothes, or does it not matter much?

Thanks!!!

Krystie - wow thats very exciting for you! i put Bianca's clothes in the dryer and havent had any probs with them shrinking even when they say not too put them in!
    also for the 1st wash i did wash whites separate from the colours but no longer do it anymore!

All my kids clothes go in the shower EVERY TIME they are washed...nothing goes on the line.

Ive never noticed them shrink, fade, or even get weaker. Still the same as day 1 when they were brand new.

As for washing colours and whites separately....i used to in the start, now everything goes in together, except if its brand new, i make sure the dark clothes are washed on their own for the first few washes.

oh i was wondering about this too cause my mum bought me a tumble dryer for my baby shower but i havent even used it cause every single baby item i have says do not tumble dry!!
    i have washed all bubbas 0000 and 000 and just put bright colours together, then the next load i put the pastels and whites together and nothing seemed to run or get ruined....damn wish i knew they woulda been ok in the dryer, now they all have lil peg marks on them

Some Epsom salts in the wash will help keep your clothes nice and soft, and so you don't have to use your dryer, with all the extra carbon emissions and cost that brings.

Clothes dryers are a bit harsh long term - all that lint you take off the filter is being knocked off the clothes! So for those delicates, it really does make a difference not using the dryer.

All my kids clothes go in the shower EVERY TIME they are washed...nothing goes on the line.
    lol Kim

I've had a few things shrink unfortunately but I still use it when I have to.

i always use mine and havent had any probs yet

You girls are all the best! Over time I'm sure I'll do a combination of line drying and tumble drying, but it's good to know that if I use the dryer tonight that I am not going to wreck all of our little ones cute new clothes

Oh and Raven, I had a little chuckle at putting them in the "shower" as well

Thanks again!!!

DoubleK Guest

i like Kims idea of showering her kids clothes

ive never had a clothes dryer.. but i do know what you mean about clothes being a little stiff sometimes.
    i hated the idea of using pegs on DD's baby clothes.. so i hung them on a clothes airer inside. i also found this thing.... you're meant to hang it on the washing line (not the undies one with the little pegs) and it has like 10 arms that fold out.. i used to slide one arm through her outfits and hang the whole contraption up (it wasnt huge.. but it was soo good!)

eta: i first washed whiltes and colours seperate.. but once we got to size 1.. everything went in together with our clothes

blonde brain on today.....i was wondering why you were commenting on the shower..and i had to go read all the posts again..then i re read mine...

Ohh dear....ill start again:

I put my kids clothes in the DRYER everytime........

Quote Originally Posted by LilMunchikins View Post
    Ohh dear....ill start again:

I put my kids clothes in the DRYER everytime........
    Oh... and I was just about to ask whether you save water by just leaving the kids in their clothes while THEY shower

Well.....LOL...its not a bad idea though hey!

smiles4u Guest

I found the baby Bonds wondersuits to be a bit hard & crunchy dried on the clothes horse ... BUT found that the Target brand similar to the wondersuits stay lovely & soft when dried on the clothes horse