thread: Banishing Bathroom Mould...tips needed!

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

Banishing Bathroom Mould...tips needed!

well, this has been the bane of my existence since we moved into our rental last year. when we moved in the bathroom was COVERED in black mould. i managed to get it off (not easy when you have a newborn to look after!).

however the landlord will not put in a new vent (the old one doesnt do anything) and will not re-paint with a high-gloss.

so.....

now we are fighting a constant battle to keep the mould from forming on the walls. i manage to get most of it off that is within reach, but am finding it tricky to get off the ceiling and eaves.

any hints?

and any magic potions?? we are using a mould cleaner but it is so poisonous i am always afraid to use it...

sorry for the ramble BTW!

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

vinegar will kill the mould, and maybe some bicarb might get it off tiles, not sure what you'd use on actual walls and ceiling though.
    Is there no window that you can open in there either?

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Contact the tenancy board, it is illegal to not have good ventilation in a bathroom in victoria. And it is also a big no no to have mould growing and not fix it. Its not your responsibility if its growing that rapidly its theirs. And its a health and safety issue.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

oh wow! thanks guys!

i have a *feeling* that the vinegar might strip the paint. but then again, the mould cleaner poison stuff didnt....

i THOUGHT i had a right to proper ventilation! the realestate ppl keep insisting that it works (because it makes a noise); but somehow i don't think bathroom vents are her speciality somehow. and yeah, it just grows and grows...and you can see exactly where i cannot reach properly

ah, thanks again, i'll give the vinegar a go then some bi-carb...do you think i could use a broom to reach the ceiling????

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

ring the RE first and suggest that you will be taking the matter further because of the health issues and legalities involved.
    They should be able to see for themselves how bad it is.
    That way they cant say you damaged the paint etc with cleaning it..

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

ah, thanks RayRay! he he he i was already planning my cleaning adventures for this afternoon...guess i'll hold off until i call and get an answer...

we do have a window, but it just doesnt cut it. (the house next door is right next to it, so i guess there isnt enough cross-ventilation).

Nov 2004
    WA

I read somewhere to put car wax on very dry clean tiles/grout to keep the mould away - never tried it though! HTH

Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic

Maybe get one of those "Hippo" things. They draw moisture from the air, you can get them from supermarkets, Bunnings etc, in all different sizes.