Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BellyBelly Flyers - Flylady Chat #2

Ange, you go into Yahoo groups and search for FlyladyAustralianReminders then click join group. You can find Yahoo groups through Yahoo, or click on one of the links at the bottom of the flylady emails - I think there's one there for changing your subscription details and that will take you to Yahoo groups.

Well done on your kitchen!

Thanks MR.

Who ever said about admiring your work..... i keep glancing over and having a little smile! i'm hanging out for guest to pop in by surprise now! Sad isn't it! This is the first time ever that i have been conistently tidy........ i'm amazed.

That's great Ange. I hope you get a surprise visitor!! I was thinking the same thing over the long weekend when my house was pretty much in order for once - why don't my ILs pop in unexpectedly NOW!!

Vicky, I thought this was so funny -
    I did the 27 fling today - mainly because i was cranky with DH, and needed to get rid of some energy, and consequently cleaned out the ensuite of "stuff"!
    When I am cranky with DH I always havea cleaning frenzy. I don't really understand it, but am glad taht other people do it too.
    My day off today and the house looks shocking so I am going to stop procrastinating and FLY. I certainly find when the house is untidy, DH tends to be untidy but when it is clean, he will be tidier too.

Hi fellow fly ladies.. how are you all flying? Me - well I crashed from flying this week. Aston was very sick, and just getting through the day was all I could manage. having said that though - the kids and DH stepped up which was wonderful.
    Aston is on the improve, and I was looking at my sink thinking - right you need a shine.

I left my pots from last night's dinner drying on the sink last night *hangs head in shame*.

I've been mostly good, but I was just too tired to go to the effort last night!

astnatlaur - I hope poor Aston is feeling better, it's tough on you both when they're sick. I'm sure all your previous FLYing has kept your house pretty managable. Yay to your DH for helping out!

Vicky, I can well understand - sick kids do take up a lot of time.

Trish, I have to admit that for the first time in ages we left dishes on the sink overnight last night too .

I am still not where I want to be with the house, but thanks to doing a bit each day (well most days anyway) I have gotten rid of most of the hot spots, so I am much happier with it than I was before. I also love having a shiny sink. And the 27 fling boogie in the bathroom turned into more of a 127 fling boogie. Now I am wondering why we moved so many out-of-date bottles of things from not just one previous house, but two LOL!! . Ah well, at least they are gone now! Along with DH's current deodorant I think as he hasn't been able to find it since.......

Oh dear. I've been going so well, but my motivation is really staring to wane. Can I be bothered??? It's just too cold- i feel like hibernating instead

I'm going to be jumping back in once I'm back in my unit

Back on the wagon!!

Thank goodness for FL today! I had a day of leave and have dinner all prepared, a clean kitchen with shiny sink and the washing under control. Not bad considering the shocking start with T awake at 5am, two kids who didn't want to go their swimming lessons (until we got in the car!) and Jack forgetting to go to the toilet when he got up! And I seem to have forgotten how hard it is getting things done with two littlies!!

Time for me to actually start I think. I signed up for the reminders about a month ago with a new email account..then promptly forgot about the whole thing

So cleared out the emails and will start fresh! Wish my luck.

Lisa xx

Hi All,
    I'm new here (started a new thread to say hello) and welcome your thoughts on FlyLady and your own personal experiences with it. I didn't know there was an Australian version, it really annoyed me that whenever I felt motivated (like on a monday), I would have to read the Saturday version!
    I too 'try' flylady but have to modify it.

I have a great tip - in this month's Good Taste magazine (at woolies) there is a free timer that is magnetic. Flylady always talks about the 10 minute tasks and I just couldn't be bothered buying their little timer, so for $4 I bought the magazine. I am going to try to do 10 mins on each room today, and then 10 mins dust, vac and mop. So all up today I should be doing 100 minutes of cleaning (when you put it like that, it sounds easy!)

Another tip I have from living in an upstairs/downstairs house is to have Up/Down boxes. They are boxes I park at the top and bottom of the stairs which I fill with things that either need to go up or down. It is really handy as we have rumpus/study/laundry downstairs, and kitchen etc upstairs. They are normally filled with cups, toys, shoes etc. At the end of each day I walk around 'homing' whatever is in the box, but making sure they go back in the proper places or I am back to square one. I also do a 10 minute Sh't-finder, which is where I walk around downstairs/upstairs with the box and put whatever is 'out-of-place' into the box and go from there.

Anyone else hate laundry? I wish we could all live naked... Apart from the embarassment, at least then I wouldn't have 6 loads to do today!

Welcome MWB. I love your idea for the Up/Down boxes. I have the same problem at home so I will have to try that one. I also just bought a $2 kitchen timer as I found I really needed that tool to keep me on track. Plus it works really well for getting kids to stay on the naughty spot and also for getting a 3yo to eat his dinner without mucking around (I'm setting the timer and when it goes off I am taking the dinner away). Wish I'd known I could have got a magazine as well for just $2 extra LOL!!

Did you figure out how to get the Australian reminders? You don't get the essays and things with the Aussie ones, just the reminders. So I actually still get the US ones in the summary format (one per day) and also the Aussie ones. I find that the essays help with motivation and also I sometimes pick up some good tips from them.

I hate laundry too, but not as much as ironing. But luckily my MIL looks after the boys at our place 3 days a week and does washing, folding, ironing and cooks on those days. Don't hate me LOL!!

Hi MissWingBat, love your up/down boxes idea, I might have to try that! I'm trying to limit my habit of running up and down the stairs all day to put things away. I have promised myself one trip to re-house things, once a day.
    MR- Ummm I have a confession to make. I don't iron. I really truly despise it so I figure it's one chore I can do without. The only thing that gets ironed around here is dh's work shirts!

Hi ladies and thanx for the warm welcome. I am in the process of RAAAAA!!'ing my house but taking the obligatory 10 minute rest. What a great way!
    Lori-Rae - I don't iron either. I have a sh'tload of coathangers out on my clothes line in the back yard, and if it's a hanger-item, I shake-shake-shake and hang. That way it eliminates 1. ironing 2. hanging them up 3. having that 'clothes chair' in the bedroom for things intended to go back on hangers.
    I just posted on another thread about washing, which to sum up quickly was:
    1. hang all your clothes according to person - 1 line per person - therefore, when u take them off, you fold into their piles and straight into their cupboards.
    2. I don't use pegs. Saves time and if you hang correctly, they don't fall off.

I hate washing, I am the worst when it comes to Mt Washmore, I have PILES of stuff to be folded. That is why I do this, I can't stand folding folding folding piles of stuff. And with three kids I either have to do it superfast or never because it is a game for the kids to jump all over it...

I read on here the other day about control journals and one lady was talking about having the huge folder. I don't have enough funds to invest in a filofax, I just got an A5 folder and made my templates and printed them at 50%. It is great, you don't need to buy special hole punchers or dividers to fit, Officeworks does a great range to fit A5 - insert binders, dividers, little zippered pouches, notebooks. I divided it into sections including weekly schedules, grocery lists, birthday gifts, freezer inventory etc. I don't take it out with me, but the pages print easily enough to put in my wallet - like contacts, and shopping lists, and a list of emergency #'s like lost cards, fish and chip shop (!), etc. The freezer inventory is great because I always forget that packet of mince in the back of the freezer, and it gives you an idea of how many meals you already have without making a trip to the shop. We live 2 doors down from a Woolies so it's really hard not to treat it as my personal pantry...
    I have an emergency pack in my car (small wipes, 1 nappy, 1 pair of jox, eyeliner, comb, lipgloss, lighter, mossie coil, little samples of sunscreen, moisturiser and stuff, spare pair of sunnies) because when you think about it, the car is only about 2 mins away from where you are (park, shops, friends) so instead of taking the 'sack' of stuff everywhere, I leave it in the car. Also the kids are great at making the car their personal cupboard so its always full of shoes, hats, toys.
    I just bought a new mobile that is so slim it fits in my wallet too so if I grab my wallet and my keys I am ready to go out! After 5 years of taking EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink, it is nice to be back to keys and wallet stage.
    Well, that's my 10 minutes up ALREADY so now I'm onto dust, vac and mop. My tip for wooden floorboards is to use hot water with a 'bloop' of euculyptus ($4 bottle Woolies) and that keeps them very very shiny and smelling nice. I swear by the Sabco dry/wet mopper, I use it everyday, wet for mopping (once a week) and once a day with the dry one. Its easier than sweeping!!
    BTW - I am not organised 24-7. This is a really good day, then I will have 2 weeks of feeling like poo so it will all go down the drain again. Plus I am going away this friday for a week so that will put the schedule behind and I will be at square one again........................

Wow MWB!! I am very impressed! You go girl!!

I use hot water with white vinegar on the floor boards so I hear you on not using expensive chemicals!

I might have to start that freezer inventory idea. I never have any idea what is in there LOL!!

MantaRay - freezer invetory is great because if you get the list, and on it is say, mince, 8 sausages, and peas, puff pastry, you can go to the net and there are heaps of sites that you can type in 2 or 3 ingredients you have, and they will come up with recipes.

I already love this site. Why? Because usually by now, I would have given up on cleaning. Done a few things, made beds, but then get disheartened and 'can't be bothered'. Well, today, as I am cleaning, washing, doing... all these ideas are coming into my head. Everyone's great ideas, but also WHAT I AM DOING... For example, what I do everyday is boring to me... And not that fantastic. But you know what? Some of my ideas may help you, or inspire you, like everyone did to me. I'm looking around my house with 'new eyes' for my tips and tricks, that I just take for granted.

For example, we live in a highset house. One of the first things we did when we moved in was get a piece of rope and park both bins 'under' the back landing. So if I have the most DISGUSTING scariest nappy, instead of it stinking the house, I go to the back landing and drop the bomb straight into the bins. I recycle more too.
    We have a compost bin, which I never used to use. Why? Because the little bin on the bench would get stinky, and I couldn't be bothered going ALL the way down the back... blahblah blah. Then I thought - why not get my DD to take it down? But then my good containers would never come back. She would dump the compost and leave the container there. Or I would leave the container there with the good intention to hose it out, and my hubbie would thow it into the trailer. (dump). SO THEN - I bought a pack of paper bags (100 for like, $1 at woolies). Everytime I peel potatoes etc, I put it in a paper bag, and I go or get DD to take it to the 'stinky bin'. No more lost tupperware and no more stinky bins in my kitchen...

I've seen on this site about having oil burners going. Well, with three kids, I can't (they are the sort of kids if you leave them alone they would somehow blow up the car)... So I invested in 3 of those ambipur light-sensor smelly things that you plug in. So during the day, in the kitchen, bathroom and downstairs, there is a nice 'smell' just in case visitors come. And they switch off at night. If you keep them on the lowest, they last for over 4 months.

Well, that's my morning of HYPERCLEANing done, my kids are attempting to pack up the rumpus room. They will go for a nap soon, then this afternoon I will take them to the park, so the house stays tidy. Then they are at day-care tomorrow so I can have a ME-DAY, clean house, no kids, no mess! Then I go on holiday on Friday for a week - YAY!
    Last edited by MissWingBat; July 2nd, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast