Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BellyBelly Flyers - Flylady Chat #2

I'm so glad you are addicted to BB already!! It usually takes a bit longer than a morning LOL!! Wait till you check out some of the other forums - although on second thought maybe you shouldn't or you'll never get any cleaning done!!

i have well and truely crashed. need to get my wings refitted. Ever since Aston was sick, and has been again, all my good intentions have gone out the window! too tired to do anything. I should just start with shining my sink again....

Don't feel bad Vx, I've been unwell this week and have a lot of catching up to do too!

Just wanted to know you are not alone!

School holidays must make it hard too V. Just start with baby steps again hun, you'll get there.

I am not doing very well either, but I am just doing a couple of extra things - a load of washing every day and shining my sink. So I tell myself that's a start. And I swish and swipe every 2 -3 days. So if I can get into the habit of doing that daily, and then add one thing to the routine every couple of weeks I should really see the difference. Plus my hotspots are much better. So that's progress already!

thank you. I forget to give myself credit for even the small things - like getting the washing done. yep - got to start with baby steps.

sorry, this is more of a fly-whinge...

Waaaah! I've well and truly crashed this week. Been flying for a mere fortnight after finding all about flylady here and going really well (shiny sink in the mornings= love!), UNTIL my mum came to visit.

You see, she's the patron saint of C.H.A.O.S.

I love her to bits but she can't cook a meal without three hundred things taken out and left out! All day, overnight! I tried to make sure everything was spotless for her arrival even though I knew it would not last. Arrrgh! I can't take coming home to a house like this! I feel bad that I'm already thinking about what I will clean once she has gone. But I'm putting that out of my mind for now - must enjoy her company as she only gets to see her grandkid like once a year. Kitchen is greasy and wet, bathroom is atrocious, I can't even find a place to sit on the lounges for all the stuff heaped onto it.

And she spreads her butter/jam on with a teaspoon.

Mums. Mine is like flylady kryptonite!

neuri

LOL Neuri, at least it's just once a year!! Maybe you could get her into flylady too!!

Neuri,
    I know exactly how you feel. When my dad visits, he is exactly the same. To make sandwhiches the kitchen turns into a nightmare. Last time he was here, he gutted and scaled fish in my kitchen sink, which after telling him 10 times the garbage disposal doesn't work, still put it all down there. So I had to 'fish' it out, scale by scale, after going crazy with the smell.
    My solution - I just visited him, with all three kids. Chaos, mess, all at his house. It was fantastic. I had such a relaxing time!
    I try to remember that they are only visiting, for a short time, and you don't won't to remember these visits with memories of resentment and 'cleaning' - instead, get out of the house, and forget the cleaning, and create some great memories. You won't remember the mess in years to come.
    Cleaning will always, always, be in our lives. Parents and children may not. Cleaning is a hourly, daily, monthly thing that challenges us. I would get your mum a cuppa tea and a nice seat in the corner of the kitchen, and chat whilst you clean up.
    As my wonderful dad says, Guests are like fish - they go off in a couple of days.
    Good Luck!!!!

TiggerandPooh,
    I have 'flown' out the window too with school holidays. All I think is, well, if I can get JUST ONE HOUR of cleaning done a day, that's enough. ONE LOAD of washing. I am so sick of 'To-Do' jobs, my hot-spots are going insane, but somehow I have gone past that and I am okay with it.
    As long as I get the dishes in the dishwasher, and get one load done, I am happy. And don't forget - it's too cold to do anything anyway!

mumstheword Guest

What can I say? I keep trying to FLY to no avail. It goes well for awhile but I don't seem to be able to keep my routines going and as for the shiny sink .

I need motivation big time ladies as I do my chores but the house still seems messy

I have however, washed the dishes, put them away

I am also trying to find ways to clean without chemicals. knw of bicarb soda, vinegar ad water anyone know any others? Also can anyone tell me ho long it took the men in their life to help you keep the sink shining?

You ladies who iron, no offense but, why bother I dont iron and dont see the point, cnvnce me wh need to iron

I shake-shake-shake and hang. That way it eliminates 1. ironing 2. hanging them up 3. having that 'clothes chair' in the bedroom for things intended to go back on hangers.
    Great idea, but does that mean you hant the clothes on the line on the hangers? What about winy days

And I haven't been able to get the hang of the babysteps what do you expect from someone who didn't learn to crawl until after she walked

I would love not to iron. But sadly most of my work shirts need at least a quick iron. And as for DH's shirts - they need more than a quick iron! Of course sometimes he does his and sometimes I do. I don't iron anything else though.

I am the same as you Rachael - lots of fits and starts. But the concept of baby steps has finally gelled. Just pick up ONE change at a time, even if it takes a month or two, just do ONE thing different. This then becomes a habit. The sink shining seems to work for most people, but for me the load a day has worked better. Then I added swish and swipe. Just do that one extra thing each day until it's habit, you no longer need to "remember", you just do. Then you add the next thing. It is slow, but eventually you get there (in theory - I'm not there yet either LOL!).

GL, I hope you get there.

Does FLY actually stand for anything?

I don't have a Control Journal, but have seen a diary I like for next year. Its called 'mum's diary' from debden I think. I was going to use my old a5 organiser, but that is at my Mum's house, and given that I don't go there much (and since she isn;t really talking to me atm), I don't see myself getting it in a hurry. Unless I can psychically figure it out and ask my brother to get it out for me. But if I do happen to get it by the end of the year, I will use that instead. I have this thing for writing notes and lists. Sometimes I think I'm obsessed by it. Honestly, I do!

I am reading this whole thread in between typing my post, and also looking at FlyLady's site. I don't get the whole shine your sink thing, but I am sure I will when I start. Sounds to me almost like a spiritual revelation. But I do make the bed everyday, so it is very tidy, and always clean the stove when I do the dishes (which I try to do every night). When I get up in the morning (which is often around 9 or 10! ) I put on a load of washing before breakfast so that its dry by the arvo.

Ha, I just thought of something. Not really related to FLy Lady, but the Man said to me a little while ago (when I was in the groove of my daily list, including make up) that I don't have to do all that (especially the make up), as its not the 1930's, I don't have to have the house perfect for him, and be all made up awaiting his arrival home. Awww, isn't he sweet? But at least he noticed.... And I was trying to have a roast every Sunday. That works fine, when we are home. But for the last two weeks, and the next Sunday coming, we won't be home. Maybe I'll have to SC a chook? Hmmm, new browser window please! Okay, Sunday's roast dinner sorted, SC chicken with french onion soup cooked on onions. Microwave and fry some veges when we get home. Then for other times, I think I will try to cook in an oven bag (saw it on Better Homes the other week) to try and keep my oven clean, which means less cleaning, even though the Man has volunteered to clean the oven for me when needed. Sorry, bit of a deviation there...

Just thought of something good my Mum has done. Got me out of ironing. The only thing that gets ironed now are jeans. Mine (if I can be bothered) and the Man's. That's it. I don't even iron the Boy's jeans (well, he dumps his clothes in the bottom of his wardrobe, so I don't see the point. Actually, I'm tempted to dump his clean clothes in a pile on his floor, as that's where it all usually ends up because he won't put them away!). The Man wears flouro shirts for work, which I hang up asap (along with most of the washing, which helps keep it wrinkle free). Ironed jeans and flouro shirts for work, I know, an odd combo, but he teaches trucks for a living, so likes to look good.

I had better go, finish reading flylady later. Have to do something about dinner....

OMG I just looked up that diary you were saying and I WANT ONE NOW!!
    How exciting! They finally have put something together to please us!
    YAY!
    I am getting one RIGHT NOW....

You know.... I was thinking of you when I saw the Mum diaries... Who's stalking who now!?!
    I am going to restrain myself and wait. Actually I'm going to tell the Man that is what I want for Christmas. I'm going to get a pink one!

Ok, I keep on looking at Flylady and taking some ideas from the site. Does anyone actually follow it fully or do they adapt it to themselves.

Well I kind of have an office in a bad organised. Recycled an old uni lecture folder/binder. I have reused the cardboard note pockets for "bills to pay" "filing" "general to do" "info". Info is for those flyer's, brochures etc that I need access to for the moment. There are some loose leaf page for notes etc, business card plastic inserts (have been meaning to get these for years). The front of the folder has a pencil case and small pockets, good for stamps etc. So I am getting more organised and have told DH what it is for in case he is looking for anything.

Having trouble doing much around the kids. Whilst I understand the concept of only doing it for 15 minutes, it is hard with interruptions. Just trying to vacuum today was a nightmare. Every 30 sec DD1 demanded something (bum wiping cannot wait) or screamed about the noise, then bubs woke up and virtually no vacuuming got done. If I am dragging out the vacuum I like to get as much done despite the time. So how do others cope?

I think I have a real problem keeping motivated with interruptions, in the end I just give up and I just feel depressed about not getting anything done. So I am not sure any routine is going to help me until the girls at school.

Does anyone else think the Flylady site needs a makeover? It is very dated in look and a pain to navigate.

Hiya Astrid,
    FlyLady is great for ideas - but terrible for motivation. Don't sign up for the newsletters - it will get worse. For all the fluffy fairy floaty fun lovin' - she really knows how to make someone feel bad, depressed, unmotivated - the list goes on. She has some basic great ideas, but don't get carried away with the whole "HEY lets do this and that and this and cook for a month and clean under the beds etc etc." We have kids. We have stuff to do. We don't want EVERY single nook and cranny of our houses STERILISED. We would JUST LIKE TO SEE THE FLOOR EVERY NOW AND THEN!!!

I did flylady for a while, but then I decided to create something to fit me, us and our life.
    Basically this is what I took from it all:
    Have a folder (anything) to put important stuff and a contact list. Bank numbers, fast food stuff, etc. This is handy and sounds like you are on the right path.
    Every morning, do - kitchen, swish toilet, and wipe sink in bathroom. Just having some bench space clear and tidy makes the room look tidy.
    Try (this one is hard) to do a load of washing a day.
    Have a basket to dump things in throughout the day that needs a home.
    I have lots, and lots and lots of those plastic boxes on wheels, for everything!
    For some reason I have this kooky sense that things look neater in a basket... From my desk in my office I can count 24 different boxes/baskets...
    I usually do two big days of cleaning at home, Tues and Fri - for a couple of hours - beds, floors, vac, mop. If I am feeling 'the mojo' I'll clear out a cupboard or fix those piles of stuff that seem to accumulate everywhere. BUT here is the money = my mum comes around those days to play with the kids so I can get some done. She appreciates the time with the kids, and I can go hard upstairs without freaking out about the kids.

What about getting DD1 her own little vac - they have them at Target for $10 or so. And I have been known to hold baby whilst vaccumming.

Getting motivated with interruptions is hard, and this forum is especially harder. I have ended up having to enforce I do not visit this site until after the kids are in bed, and at 9.30 (coffee time!) Even just getting one draw, cupboard, basket done a day...

Keep your chin up, just remember that kids come before cleaning, and I just hope people look at my gorgeous children instead of the floors At the end of the day, just take what you think can work in your home, but don't bust a gut trying to follow her rules.

Thanks for the reply MissWB! Good to know I am not alone in thinking that it is too much to follow all of it.

I already do a load a day, well almost as we are now on tank water and a water waster machine. Would love to put it on first thing, but I put it on after I have bucketed the shower water into the machine. There is extra work to do at this property, but I suppose it is kind of made up by being well laid out and not too big, well except for the land

Have a few plastic tubs and will get some more. Both DH and I have decided if it is not used everyday/weekly it is to go in a tub, on a shelf in the shed. Even stuff like all the gear needed for swimming (bathers, towels, wetbag, bucket spade etc) will be out of the house in tub. Will save heaps of time as we wont have to hunt around for the bathers that DD1 loves to pull out of her wardrobe and for the beach towels DH likes to use a everyday towels. Also found some good plastic baskets at Bunnings that are quite reasonably priced that I will grab for room tidies, already have one in the bathroom as a small laundry basket. Would love to have wicker, but not at the cost at the moment, plus I want to learn basket weaving (well one day).

It is probably a bit sad, but I found a new vacuum makes me want to vacuum more often. Finally retired our old Dyson (DCO2 model) and now have a DC19 with turbo head. It cleans so much better, so it is enjoyable (when not interrupted) to vacuum as I can see the result. Actually a new mop and bucket has helped as well. Gee, I am sad.

DO NOT even utter the words you are 'sad' for feeling motivated by having nice shiny new cleaning stuff - hey, every monday nearly I buy something that will magically transform my home - today a real lambswool duster... mmmm.... fluffy.... (dog ate last one)
    Last week it was a bucket, and sponge, and car cleaning stuff. Whenever I finally get motivated to clean the car, we have no stuff to do it with! So now we have the 'car' bucket.
    Bunnings has great big 50l tubs with ropes on the side that are perfect toy baskets, because they are reinforced. As you probably already know, I have lost many plastic 'tubs' to the kids who love to sit in them instead. I've had these now for a year and no breaks!
    Excellent idea about the swimming tub. Don't forget sunscreen!
    Another idea I did recently was to grab an old backpack, and go through the kids clothes, and anything that I would usually send to Life line I made up a couple of outfits, then added a nappy, some wipes, sunscreen, mossie coil, pens etc and now that bag lives in my boot of my car. You just never know when you might need it! We recently did a 'quick' trip out to the IL's, and I had NO clean clothes, no nappies, nothing with me, thinking we were just dropping past. So this is a just in case you never know bag.
    Here is something from an older thread that I wrote:
    "I also have an "Action Station", which is our old baby change table. It is just as you walk in the door. Baskets for everyone in the house on top, with calendar and incoming mail. (Technically I should open mail, mark on calendar event or payment, and go and immediately file the paperwork). Pegs for "school notices/excursions/tuckshop" stuff. Key hanger (I am a shocker for losing my car keys). Then underneath, on middle tray, all school bags, 'yoga bag' (cobwebs and all), beach bag etc. Then a basket underneath for school shoes. Also a 'four hook hanger" off the side for school jumpers/coats. Also an "Out Going" basket, for all those things you borrow/get/need to give back to friends, family. For eg, my mum gets parcels to our house. So I put it in the OUT basket and she knows to check there everytime she drops in. It is really, really handy, especially for school notices and shoes and stuff. But also is the worse place for dumping stuff.
    Just have to keep on top of it and clear it out/take action every week. I find the baskets really handy because if there is something I need my DH to do, (handyman stuff "BLUE JOB!"), I write it on a sticky and put it in his basket. (Fix knobs, leaky tap...) He usually takes more notice that way than me nag nag nag."

I think the main motivations are to not to try to do it all in one day. You will end up with more mess than before. Start in a corner, and slowly, slowly, you'll get there.
    Having a garage sale is a great motivation to declutter!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast