Thread: Mould on baby items

Default Mould on baby items

Hi,

Was wondering if some of you ladies might be able to help?

I have just been out to our garden shed & I have noticed alot of baby items - such as timber cot, highchair is covered in a green powdery mould. I want to know what is the best way to clean it (ie: hot soapy water?) and then how do I stop the mould from returning? I have heard Oil of Cloves.... where do I get that from?

I prefer not to use a chemical (such as mould killer etc...)

Thanks

OMG just saw your ticker!!!!!! Congratulations of your pregnancy Rhi Now I may not be that helpful on the mould front because it's my 'thing' I actually feel like vomiting when I see mould let alone touching it so if it were me it'd all be getting thrown out BUT I know that is irrational! I think teetree, neem? or the clove like you suggested would do the job, wash it all down and lay in the hot bright sun to dry completely.

Default Mould on baby items

Congratulations on your pregnancy

I've recently been dealing with some mould in our house. Firstly I scrubbed with bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar, then rinsed down with hot water, then I used oil of cloves to stop it growing back. You're supposed to mix it with water then spray. I bought mine over the Internet - I can't remember the name of the company, something fizz rings a bell, but i'm not at home so can't check. It was one I'd seen recommended on here, but I think if you google clove oil it comes up anyway.

Useless suggestion given its the middle of winter, but a good hot burst of bright sunlight kills all sorts of nasties, including mould. Its the UV light. Its no coincidence that mould grows in DARK places.

Most essential oils are so potent they'll kill anything (check the bottles - a lot are actually marked as poisonous and will kill people too) so I'm not sure I'd use them on a cot where a baby might be gnawing on the bars. Oil of cloves you can stick in your mouth for toothache and tea tree oil is in a lot of soaps and skin creams so if you're going to use any essential oil I'd be using one of those two.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will wait til the weather gets warmer so I can dry the items in the sun.

Cherished & Balmingal - thanks for the congratulations

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Thanks for posting this coz we've just discovered mould on our pram which has been retired until if/when we have another bub.

UPDATE*****
    I just wanted to say that I actually used Milton solution (from the supermaket) via the tablet form to get rid of the mould. I soaked the items in the Milton Solution and also put lemon juice on the mould stains & put in full sunlight - it did fade them a bit - but to get rid of the mould totally I made a paste from the Milton tablets with water and rubbed it on the mould for about 10 mins then soaked it in the made up Milton solution (according to directions) then washed in the usual way in the washing machine & line dried outside - mould gone!

Let it stay in the sun for a day or two to really kill the mould. If it's wet outside put them in front of a window. Saturday is supposed to be 28 so a good day for airing.
    If there is anything that can be put on the clothes line put them on for a night and day and that will also kill of any mould after washing.

Thanks!
    i got this dora bag that has all mould on it
    ive been putting it in the sun for nearly 3 months now and the mould is still there! Might try the milton!

Thanks!!!

Ohhh shall try the Milton on the removable hood on the stroller!!! Got a few good hot days with plenty of sun coming so this will be the perfect time!

can you get milton from Safeway? in the cleaning section? i've never heard of it

Ginger - belgrave pharmacy has it. Or go look in your bounty bag!

thanks kazbah, just looked for it at IGA but no luck!

It is usually in the baby section. I have seen it at Coles & Safeway, was in a blueish bottle but then again that was years ago

Napisan will also work as will bleach but with them all just test first as you don't want faded patches, depends on what it's made from

bump so i can find it