Thread: Pink mould under shower sealant

Default Pink mould under shower sealant

Does anyone know how I can get rid of pink mould (well I guess that's what it is) that's in my shower? Nothing I have tried gets rid of it including domestos. It looks to me like it could be under the sealant in the shower on the shower door and perspex wall - there is none on the tiles or grout.

If it is in the sealant what do I do to fix this. Do I need to somehow remove the sealant - kill it & then reseal it? If so how hard is it to do this? I'd have to do the job myself. I'm reluctant to pay someone to do it as I'm having to be careful with my money but will do if it is a job that's only for the professionals.

Pull out the sealant, and clean using bleach ... that will get rid of the pink mould.

Next make sure your shower is really, really dry - use a hairdryer and leave for a day if you can.

Get a tube of silicon (clear or coloured) and make sure its the anti-mould silicon. Plus a plunger/applicator (about $2.50) to squeeze it out.

Push it into the join, and then use your wet finger (fingernails bad!) to push it in and make it concave. You need your finger to be wet so it doesn't get silicon on it, it's a pain to get off!

good luck

I used to work in hotels and the housekeeping people tell me that the pink can often be build up/overuse of cleaning product????

I would also go down the road of removal of silicone/replace...

If you remove the silicon and redo it, a tip I came across when doing this is to make sure your bath is full (well, almost full) of water, otherwise, when you have a bathtub full of water next time, it will 'stretch' the silicon and it won't be a perfect join and you will just get stuff under there again, totally defeating the purpose of doing it in the first place...

oooh great tip Nic - I have only done showers!

Thanks for the tips ladies. I'll have to give it a go. I'm selling the house soon so I need to get it looking nice.

That's interesting about overuse of cleaners.... somehow I doubt that's the case in my shower.....lol.