Thread: Pretty-smelling room spray/cleaner?

Default Pretty-smelling room spray/cleaner?

My mission: to scrub the house from top (yup, ceilings!) to bottom before next Friday, as the grandparents are coming up from Melbourne for a few days.
    And I need help!
    I have set down a daily roster of tasks that need to be done in order for it all to be completed on time (I am SHOCKINGLY BAD with general housework, let alone a complete spring clean), going good with that (except when the DDs decide not to cooperate with naptime/TV time and let me get it done).

What I would very much like assistance with from you ladies, is tips on WALLS. I need to give them a good clean to get rid of the dirty little fingerprints, stray pencil scribbles, and in some spots of the house, mouldy patches. And, if it's not too much to ask (lol ), I would like this particular spray/cleaner to be very pretty-smelling - vanilla if possible (please? Love the stuff!).

I would say feel free to hit me with the nastiest chemicals you can imagine (I already did the bathroom and toilet walls and ceilings with lavender-scented disinfectant diluted in water, in a spray bottle, then just wiped off with a Chux), but the worst mouldy patch in the house happens to be on the bedroom wall right next to DD2's cot (she sleeps in a port-a-cot), so if I could have something that's baby-friendly there, I'd appreciate it. Everywhere else, it's a free-for-all

Any advice and tips would be super-welcome! TIA

smiles4u Guest

Lightbulb

Ah righto i hear ya as i too like nice smelling cleaning products & espesh vanilla scent, only thing is the products i'm about to suggest i don't think are ideal for mould (??) as i haven't tried 'em for that !!

I use a spray product called Vanilla Fresh (it use to be called Vanilla Wipe) made by McLintocks ... it's not a heavy duty cleaning product for tough jobs IYKWIM, i use it to clean the bathroom, toilet and kitchen area including inside the fridge. It's antibacterial & an all purpose cleaning product.

Another item that smells divine (though not vanilla) is Windex Glass Crystal Rain (no ammonia) can be used to sparkle polish mirrors but also can be used on tiles, stainless steel, chrome, appliances and counter tops.

You could try Sugar Soap for the mould, as long as it's not pretty bad mould (again doesn't smell like vanilla, i think it's gonna be hard to get anything remotely nice smelling that would remove mould)

(Items mentioned above you an get from the supermarket eg, Coles ... Sugar Soap also from hardware like Bunnings but i'm sure supermarkets sell it too)

If ever after a disinfectant i love Aldi's lavender disinfectant, funny as i'm not a big fan of lavender but this smells gorgeous !

Hey good-luck with the grandparents staying, how sweet (Are they your grandparents or your DD's ??)

It probably doesn't smell that great but Gumption is the best for getting marks off the walls. Is it possible for you to get the Glad plug ins or something for the house? You don't have to have them on all the time, just an hour or two, makes the house smell gorgeous

a few hours with the windows open really goes a long way xoxo

I use the Avon vanilla room spray occasionally. It's a bit strong for the 1st half hour or so but it's quite nice after that

I would use sugar soap on the walls ...as for smell, I have a spray bottle filled with an essential oil mix OR - just as good, I looooove lemon - wipe a bit of lemon oil over doorknobs, window sills, lightbulbs (when the light heats up the oil heats too).

Of course if you don't like lemon, use another I get my oils from the health food shop or chemist.

I would get the walls cleaned first, then fragrance the room. Sugar soap is great for walls. Open up all the windows if you can (unless it's freezing where you are) and once the walls are cleaned, light an oil burner or spray a fragrance.

Grotty fingermarks are just oil from your skin with dirt stuck to it. We get those off with a spot of dishwashing liquid in some warm water in a bucket. If you've got mould from little people and not water damage, that would just be food smeared on the walls so will come off with the same stuff.

I'm sure you can get every scent of dishwashing liquid there is

Thanks so much for your suggestions, ladies! I cleaned the walls with the Vanilla spray that smiles4u suggested (which smells AMAZING!) and got the tough spots (pencil/crayon marks etc) with a bit of cream cleanser. So far I've only done the hallway and lounge room but the entire house smells just gorgeous - and who knew the walls were so white under all that dust?

Fleur, the lemon oil idea on light fittings etc sounds delish, too - will definitely have a go at that! I might try and slip one of the new Glade vanilla candles into the grocery shop tomorrow heheh I looooove vanilla smells!

Thanks girls, I really appreciate the suggestions

Add water-miscible lavendar to your shopping list too, it's available in Woolies near the medicines usually (sometimes the cleaning products).

Put a little (not even a half capful) in a water sprayer full of water.
    When you make up their bed, give a little spray over the sheets, and each night give a spray over the bed. Also it's great as a rinse (a drop or 2) in the washing machine.

I know it's probably totally impractical but I like to use those Sicky Fingers baby wipes to dust! It makes my place smell so yummy! It just doesn't last long enough though

^ Haha I used baby wipes to dust our picture frames! I have never dusted anything before in my LIFE! Had to give everything a wipe over with a paper towel when I was done (J&J tend to be pretty greasy) but they're all sparkly now Wow, my house actually looks presentable for a change
    Last edited by Glamourcide; July 20th, 2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I can haz spellcheck?

well done huni. wev just moved and ours is a mess. iv had some great tips ladies thank you xoxx

Not sure if you have carpets or floor board but if you have carpets there is a carpet deodoriser spray in vanilla that is gorgeous. I buy it from woolworths and it costs around $7 but goes a long long way.