thread: Shaggy Rugs

Dec 2008

Shaggy Rugs

How do you clean them? My vacuum doesn't seem to be able to get to the bottom of the pile. I'm always finding lego, lolly wrappers and stuff down the bottom of the rug.

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

I have the same problem.. I wish we never bought it!

I get DH to help me turn it upside down and bash at it, that usually makes a lot of the stuff fall out.

I'm very interested to hear what others suggest!

May 2006
    Adelaide

Oooh... glad I found this thread. I was just about to buy one!!!

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

Aww nuts. They look so good though! Like Celsie, I was thinking about it...

Dec 2008

THey are lovely. I love mine, it looks so lush.

BUT I can never get all the stuff out of the bottom of the rug no matter how i try.

Oct 2006

I take the end off the vaccuum so that it is just a tube. Then I get down on my hands and knees and vigorously go back and forth gradually moving my way across/down the rug. This still doesn't get everything, but is a lot more effective than normal vaccuuming.

I will never buy another shaggy as this gives me the irrits - I have better things to do with my time (like have a cup of tea). Mind you my MIL has one and it is not nearly as hard to keep clean. It's all the things that come with having kids that make it grubby.

Feb 2009
    In the poor house...

Well, i too am glad i read this.
    We need a new floor rug and have been eyeing off the shaggy rugs.
    This has put an end to that thought - 3 kids - i dont think so.

Thanks for posting - sorry i cant help !

xxoo

Mar 2007
    Paradise

I dont have a shaggy rug but I do have 2 rugs, and for a little while I had no vaccuum cleaner (we had hard floors throughout and it blew up) So I would take it outside and hang it over a few lines of the washing line and Bang my frustrations away on it. Then i would use the hose to pressure wash it, and it always came back in nice and clean, with no dirt left in it whatsoever. It took a few days to dry but it didn't collect more dust if I was careful about when I did it. If it is particularly dusty where you live I would put it out to dry on the side of the house that isn't getting as much dust, over an outdoor table or something.

Mar 2008
    North Northcote

oooh thanks for this thread! we have a shaggy wool rug and it has been painful to clean! LOL! i wish we kinda had of settled for something a little more pet/child friendly lol!

we also take off the vacuum attachment and get down on our hands and knees and go from there, but yeah, it doesnt get it all....banana is especially tricky.

Dec 2008

Banana would be a pain to get out of it lol. I do the hands and knees thing with the vac too. It just seems that when I think I've finished I find something else stashed in there.

DS had the PS2 on it yesterday and it got covered by the carpet lmao.