Thread: Should mopping really be this hard? Seriously?

Default Should mopping really be this hard? Seriously?

I'm so fed up with mopping and having the floor look just as bad after as before, and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. My DH vacs the floor, and then I mop it. The wood floor is fine, but the kitchen tiles cause me endless grief. It being the kitchen, sometimes bits of food (eg, a small shred of carrot) drops on the floor and dries there if I can't wipe it straight away (ie- often!). It sticks to the floor, so the vac doesn't pick it up. I mop and it comes away with the hot water, but the mop doesn't pick it up, so I end up with a floor that is clean, but still has bits all over it. Gar!!!

So I know the obvious solution is to clean up those bits straight away, but it just doesn't always happen. Does anyone else run into this annoying problem? What do you do? Should I go over the floor with a scrapey thing before I mop and get those bits off? Or get down and old fashioned scrub my floor?

Take the head off the vac & scrap it off with the nozzle? so it gets sucked up before you mop

sweetgloss Guest

I have no solution for you, just wanna say it happens to me too!! No matter how well I vacumme, when I mop i am pushing bits over the floor I have no idea. We have really crappy lino, it looks nice once its been mopped but even an hour later it looks dirty. Will keep a close eye on this thread!

With our tiles I always used to loosen any hard bits before or while vacuuming, so theres nothing left to push aroudn the floor. It's so frustrating when that happens! Feel slike you've done all that work for nothing!

Buy a STEAM MOP!!

It is my new love affair! lol And sooo easy. Anything a bit stuck, just put the steam on for a few more seconds and voila! Gone!

I got a Bissel one, was only $180

The ol' fashioned way would be to scrape up those bits manually before you vacuum... Get a plastic paint scraper and do those areas first.

I would get down once a month or longer and scrub it.. I have to do that in my kitchen. I don't always get round to it every month but usually no longer then 8 weeks. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    Buy a STEAM MOP!!

It is my new love affair! lol And sooo easy. Anything a bit stuck, just put the steam on for a few more seconds and voila! Gone!

I got a Bissel one, was only $180
    We bought a Bissell one on the weekend after our other one crapped itself! I love love love love love my steam mop, wouldn't use anything else!

I vac, mop and then sweep as I find so much little bits come out of corners with the mop. The broom kind of polishes it too.

I've got a cloth in the kitchen that is only used for wiping up spills. I try to do it when they happen. My pet hate with the tiles is how the grout always gets dirty. I've been scrubbing mine to make them white again.

Windex and a handful of terry towel squares and good ole' elbow grease. It's what I've had to do a few times. The other tip is clean up spills AS they happen and do a spot clean after you cook. And try and mop more than once a week.

Eluned you can by grout paint especially for this. Check out bunnings. Or gel bleach works really well just make sure no one comes in the bathroom.