Thread: Soap Nuts - does/has anyone used them?

Default Soap Nuts - does/has anyone used them?

I'm keen to give these a go, but just wondering if they really do get the washing as clean as they claim.

I just started using mine this week and the ultimate test for me was sheets that DS had thrown up all over yesterday. They came out clean, fresh and soft - no scent as the soapnuts have no smell so that takes a bit of getting used to but I love them so far - I did 3 loads yesterday just so I could use them. The sheets and his teddy which were covered in spew (TMI noice) all came out beautifully. They are a fabric softener as well and I put some water in where the fabric softener goes with a few drops of essential oil to give it a little bit of scent.
    Most places sell a trial bag for pretty cheap if you wanted to give it a try! Good luck.

Thanks, all the reviews sound great. Might try them out and see how I go - DH might need some convincing but what better way than nice clean washing

I too started using them this week. All the washing has been clean and I do cold washes. I just did my fourth load on the same nuts and found they were not as efficient (the nuts are now soft) so I've composted them and will try 3 loads per bag of nuts. I also added a couple of drop of eucyalptus oil in the last wash I did and there is just the faintest nice smell.

Dusty did you put in the Eucaplyptus directly into the wash or in the dispenser? It's definitely worth a try Phoenix - I've gradually gotten rid of all my chemiscal cleaners - this is one of the last things on my list and I was pretty sceptical but they are great!

We are trying to go chemical free - except we currently live in a old place which we are about to knock down that only some "chemical' cleaners can tackle the bathroom/laundry & floor scum. But the plan is once we move into newly built place we are starting chemical free.

I've read that the nuts soften fabric etc so no need for fabric softener but will this effect the absorbancy of my cloth nappies & towels?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    Dusty did you put in the Eucaplyptus directly into the wash or in the dispenser? It's definitely worth a try Phoenix - I've gradually gotten rid of all my chemiscal cleaners - this is one of the last things on my list and I was pretty sceptical but they are great!
    Tan I popped it in the softener dispenser on my front loader.

Phoenix, I only washed my cloth nappies in soap nuts and had no issues with absorbancy. I often added 1 tbsp of bicarb soda if I was worried about stinky stuff, and as long as it wasn't nappies, I would add a tsp of vinegar at the end if needed. But I love washing with soap nuts! I get them from the markets near my house and get a big box for $20, they last me two months depending on how much washing is needed.

I just bought a trial pack off Ebay Will have to see if there are any local distributors down here in SA

Now I just have to wait until they show up, is it slightly odd to be excited to have to do washing now and try them out lol