Thread: What are those tiny weeny little fly things called??

Default What are those tiny weeny little fly things called??

In my kitchen......i seem to lately always come across those little flea flying things around my bin.....i thought they were fruit flys (so tiny, you can squash then with your pincer grip.....) but we dont have fruit lying around. I HATE them. What are they? Why are they in my house........

ooohhh... i have no idea.. but i do know wat u r talking about

My first thought was weevils?? then I thought maybe sandflies/midges? but they bite. Are they biting? Maybe someone else will know..

Nic

thrips???

They sound like weevils. Horrid, horrid things, you can get traps (they're called pantry moth traps) for them from the supermarket, and in various shops/markets etc you can buy more natural things to keep them out of your pantry.

I know mbear we have got them too! I am super-vigilant about making sure the fruit is always fresh but we still always seem to have them! Do you have a garbage disposal? My stepmother suggested flushing the garbage disposal and sink out with drano in case there is something festy in there attracting them. I thought they were fruit flies too, my husband calls them pantry moths... I feel your pain - I wish they would go away!

Pantry moths originate from things like flour, pasta, rice, they're nothing to do with fruit. They start as eggs, then become little worm things, and then turn into the moths. You can help to keep them away by putting those sorts of items in the freezer for a bit after you bring them home from the shops.

Vinegar Fly?

They're the ones thay hang around rotting/old fruit and sometimes around your bin. I hate them.

I think they are vinegar flies but we call them "stupid little fly bastards".

Sorry, I just read your post properly they don't sound like pantry moths, so scrap what I said LOL!

I think they are vinegar flies but we call them "stupid little fly bastards".
    .. I think ive muttered that phrase too.

ahhh vinegar flies. Thanks....mmm now to find the cause.....Thanks ladies.